PDA

View Full Version : Moving advice

DownwardDawg
06/07/2011, 09:43 AM
Ok, I'm finally moving. I currently have a 29 gal bowfront and a 20 regular set-up. Both have DSB's and have been established over 3 years. I don't have all the equipment yet for the 125 so I can't just start it up right now. I have about 60 - 70 lbs of dry rock in a plastic storage container with no water sitting in garage. I plan on dissolving the 20 into the 29 and just running that one tank until I set up the big one. I will place all coral and fish, along with some of the live rock into the 29. I plan on putting the remainder of the live rock in the storage container with the dry rock and filling with sw and putting in a powerhead. I also have about 75 pounds of dry sand that I got from a friends tank. I dried it out and have rinsed it in buckets with fresh water and dried again. Should I seed this sand now with a scoop from one of my tanks and start cycling it or should I leave it dry and seed it later once I -place it in the new tank?
Also, should I leave the DSB in the 29 gal tank and just fill back up with water, rock and all inhabitants or should I buy new live sand?

1st timer
06/07/2011, 09:56 AM
I would save water from the 20,bag all corals, inverts, & fish.set the20 up with its water and place livestock in it temporarily. As for your 29s sand just drain almost all the water, maybe half inch over sand, move it that way. If you just want new sand keep some of yours for seeding the dry you have, when you put it in new tank, as I wouldn't bother trying to seed it outside its future home. Be careful not to stir up the sand too muchor you'll have a mess. HTH

DownwardDawg
06/08/2011, 08:33 AM
Thanks 1st timer.

1st timer
06/08/2011, 09:33 PM
NP good luck