PDA

View Full Version : converting to reef?

crobattt
06/07/2011, 10:20 AM
Hi, I was just wondering what all I woould need to do to convert my 75 fowlr to a reef? I don't think I have suuficent lighting. That's the biggest thing I can think of. Alsso I removed the tang and angel so yeah. Anyhelp would be amazing

falconut
06/07/2011, 10:34 AM
Lighting and maintaining the proper parameters are going to be your biggest items. I use MH retros from hellolights, but there are several different types of lighting that can be used, like T-5, LED, etc.

I'm not sure how much checking of water parameters you currently do. Fish can survive in higher levels of PO4 & NO3 than corals. Plus, you'll have to start maintaining the proper Ca, Alk, pH, Mg, etc.

I'd recommend getting a descent oversized skimmer. Not sure if you already use RO/DI water, but for a reef it's highly recommended. Plus, was copper ever used in your tank to treat diease? If so, that could be an issue.

If you want to convert, don't let the above discourage you. I converted mine and I'm very happy with it. I just don't recommend you jump in without being prepared first, which it seams like you're started to do now. Good luck.

crobattt
06/07/2011, 10:52 AM
I've had a nano reef for a while, its flourishing. My paras are in check. I just need to know which lighting to go with, I have not used copper in my dt, only thing that's has been in there was some metrozidonal

allsps40
06/07/2011, 01:32 PM
I would run 2 250w MH over the tank, get a good skimmer, get rid of the angel, eel and lionfish. Angels are not always reef safe and the lion and eel are big eaters so there for big waste makers. You will most likely need to increase flow in the tank. If you dont have a sump I highly recommend one but it is not needed. A good set of alk, ca and mag test kits will be needed as will a method to dose ie kalk, 2 part or reactor.

crobattt
06/07/2011, 02:09 PM
What brand of lighting?

NYCBOB
06/07/2011, 02:20 PM
flow, lighting and good skimming if converting to a reef.

crobattt
06/07/2011, 02:23 PM
Whant kind of lighting...

anbosu
06/07/2011, 02:26 PM
Whant kind of lighting...

What kind of corals?

How much do you want to spend?

crobattt
06/07/2011, 05:00 PM
Mixed, and trying to stay reasonible for price