PDA

View Full Version : magnet rust in tank

alex gonzales
06/07/2011, 12:53 PM
I recently took down my tank to remodel the room that it was in, and discovered two of my power head magnets were open and the inside were rusted, and they looked like they had been exposing my tank to rust for awhile. I was wondering what kind of detrimental effect that would have on my fish, rock,sand etc. It was pretty much a fowler tank, but I had planned on using the rock for my new build. My fish are in a holding tank for the time being, and don't look any worse for the ware. Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

pimp4cheddar
06/07/2011, 02:00 PM
I recently took down my tank to remodel the room that it was in, and discovered two of my power head magnets were open and the inside were rusted, and they looked like they had been exposing my tank to rust for awhile. I was wondering what kind of detrimental effect that would have on my fish, rock,sand etc. It was pretty much a fowler tank, but I had planned on using the rock for my new build. My fish are in a holding tank for the time being, and don't look any worse for the ware. Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

RUST = BAD

I've never had this issue in my tank...but I've read it can cause some problems in a reef tank.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/search.php?searchid=5057745

Chris27
06/07/2011, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't worry about it.

tkeracer619
06/07/2011, 07:36 PM
You will most likely be fine but I would run some treated polypad from the lfs.

Rybren
06/07/2011, 08:11 PM
Free GFO :idea:

tkeracer619
06/07/2011, 09:07 PM
Rust from a magnet is not gfo.