PDA

View Full Version : SPS Growth - What exactly does "fast" mean

mess7777
06/07/2011, 12:57 PM
I see lots of information saying SPS corals grow quickly, more quickly than LPS. However, as someone new what does this mean exactly.

If I have a small 1.5" SPS on a frag plug, how long until it will grow over the frag plug for example?

What does fast growth mean in the coral world? 1" a month, more , less, etc?

Just curious so I can know enough to say, 'x' coral is definitely not growing.

nauticac4
06/07/2011, 01:03 PM
Usually it ill be a few weeks for a frag to settle in and begin to grow. I have has SPS such as green slimers that would grow so fast I could notice differences coming home from work each day. It all depends on the coral. I have had some corals that hardly grew and the only way to see the difference was comparing time lapse shots 6 months apart.

You question is really a loaded question, do you know what kind of SPS coral you aquired that could help shed some light on your specific question.

mess7777
06/07/2011, 01:20 PM
more interested in general info. I have a montipora digitata, couple others I can't remember. I don't think my tank is quite ready for them but I got them next to nothing. I wanted to see what to expect in the way of growth to know if they are doing well or not.

Niven
06/07/2011, 01:24 PM
Digitatas tend to grow fast in my experience.

Niven
06/07/2011, 01:28 PM
:D as in an inch a month would be fast, but maybe half an inch a month wouldn't be too far off. I think it also needs to get a base before it starts to take off.
HTH,
Gareth

Toddrtrex
06/07/2011, 01:30 PM
Here is about 9 months of growth for a tabling milli that I used to have...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/millieplustopdown.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Pic6.jpg

mess7777
06/07/2011, 01:32 PM
:D as in an inch a month would be fast, but maybe half an inch a month wouldn't be too far off. I think it also needs to get a base before it starts to take off.
HTH,
Gareth

haha thanks for catching that. we almost ended up in a circle there for a minute.

How fast is fast?
It's fast!

Qtip760
06/08/2011, 01:42 AM
Wow, cool pic's Todd. I had no idea corals could grow that fast.