PDA

View Full Version : What equipment do I need (sump)

sarah_elizabeth
06/07/2011, 03:32 PM
One last sump question, I hope :love1:

What all do I need to make this thing work?

I have the tank, dividers, protein skimmer, heater, etc. I just need to know what I need to get the flow going. I know I need a pump, but which kind are best? Also I am going to be using an overflow box. The sump is 29 gallons and my tank is 55 if that matters at all.

phenom5
06/07/2011, 04:39 PM
You want a return pump that pumps less water (after head loss) than your drain drains...to put it simply. Submersible is the simplest to add. I've always used mags, but that wouldn't necessarily be my first choice today.

A mag 3 or mag 5 would work for that sized tank. Eheim has a great reputation as being reliable and quiet, as does Tunze. An Eheim 1250 is probably a little on the small side, and the 1260 might be a bit bigger than you'd like, but you can divert flow back to the sump to get the turnover you want. I prefer pretty low flow through my sump, 3-5x is usually recommended.

saltydogs
06/07/2011, 04:42 PM
ehiem makes a great pump. In or outside the sump

sarah_elizabeth
06/07/2011, 05:09 PM
Sorry for the change but i'm going to be doing a 20 gallon sump now. I had planned to do 29 but I just build my stand and ran into the problem with the tank being way to tall and not having room to get to it.

Does this change any of the stuff you guys said? Also how do I know how much my drain drains? Is that the number on the overflow box I buy?

phenom5
06/07/2011, 05:22 PM
I would suggest a 20 long for the sump if you don't already have the tank you're going to use. Easier to work out of, same footprint as the 29, just 6" shorter.

Shouldn't change anything really.

Are you talking about a HOB overflow box?

Bedroomgangsta
06/07/2011, 05:33 PM
I have pretty much the same setup. I run Eshoppsps300 OB from aquacave.com and a Mag 7 return pump. The mag 7 may be a little overkill but let me tell you what my water turn around rate is amazing.

megatron8121
06/07/2011, 07:20 PM
So if we get the following we should be set?

Overflow box: http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/237621/product.web
Pump: http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/206432/product.web (not sure if this is what you guys are reffering to or not, I looked up Mag 3 on the internet and the same specs were given.)