PDA

View Full Version : Do fish need light acclimation too

youpey
06/07/2011, 04:00 PM
I got a new light, a 4 bulb T5 HO, and i am curious if i should light acclimate my fish.

I went from PC to the t5. Right now i have been just using 2 of the 4 bulbs.

i dont have any corals or anything, just the clown. do fish need light acclimation, if so how long should i keep them using just 2 of the bulbs

ReeferBill
06/07/2011, 04:07 PM
Fish will acclimate to the light and they can hide in the live rock if they want to. I would put on the actinics only for one hour for sunrise and one for sunset before lights go out. Full lighting for 8 or 10 hours....:bounce3::bounce2::bounce2::fish1::hammer:

youpey
06/07/2011, 04:10 PM
unfortunately the way they setup the bulbs they have blue->white->blue->white. each switch controls a blue and a white. the only way i could do it would be to put the blues next to each other and the whites next to each other. i am not sure if i trust myself to redo the wiring and i dont like the idea of having blue->blue->white->white. its a small tank, so i dont know if i like the idea of having half and half like that

BeanMachine
06/07/2011, 04:14 PM
unfortunately the way they setup the bulbs they have blue->white->blue->white. each switch controls a blue and a white. the only way i could do it would be to put the blues next to each other and the whites next to each other. i am not sure if i trust myself to redo the wiring and i dont like the idea of having blue->blue->white->white. its a small tank, so i dont know if i like the idea of having half and half like that

Since when do you have to rewire the fixture?... just switch the lamps around to the combo you want... just twist and pop them out... maybe I'm confused.

Fishfish0001
06/07/2011, 04:16 PM
Then just do half and half. I do all on at once on my biocube without issues.

youpey
06/07/2011, 04:18 PM
Since when do you have to rewire the fixture?... just switch the lamps around to the combo you want... just twist and pop them out... maybe I'm confused.

you are correct. i just took a closer look and i just had to switch out the positions of the fixtures. took less then 2 minutes.

i can now do daylight and dawn/dusk

thank you

BeanMachine
06/07/2011, 04:36 PM
you are correct. i just took a closer look and i just had to switch out the positions of the fixtures. took less then 2 minutes.

i can now do daylight and dawn/dusk

thank you

No problem just trying to help.

I've got some yellow line gobies in my 24 hour a day lit fuge... not sure if that is bad for their health or not but their is some rock they can hide in. I wish I could be of more help on this.

New fish will acclimate to your DT lighting.