PDA

View Full Version : Sump not in use

justinf67
06/07/2011, 06:26 PM
I have not had my sump in use, not been around to keep it maintained, so it has been unplugged for about 2.5 weeks. I have some rock in the middle compartment, it has sat in stagnant water for that time. Is it safe to say that the rock isnt live anymore?

I plan on putting the sump back into circulation after dumping out the existing water in it and refilling it with clean salt water. Just not sure if I should just pull the rocks out and consider them a loss. Thanks

cloak
06/07/2011, 07:18 PM
I would just give them a good rinse under the tap and put them back into the tank. That's just me though.

duncantse
06/07/2011, 07:25 PM
IMO, just wash it with the water in your sump right now and then you can use it in your DT/Sump.

cloak
06/07/2011, 07:29 PM
IMO, just wash it with the water in your sump right now and then you can use it in your DT/Sump.

It's not really going anywhere if it's being washed in the same stagnant water it came from. Just saying... :)

mwilliams62
06/07/2011, 08:50 PM
I would not use that water to rinse those rocks off with use fresh water and so some scrubbing and rinse again. You do not want any stuff getting into the DT from the stagnant water.

jeff@zina.com
06/08/2011, 08:29 AM
The rock is fine as is. Not sure why you haven't been able to maintain a sump, but a couple weeks is no big deal.

Jeff

Text mangled by iPhone spell check...

Chris27
06/08/2011, 08:41 AM
The rock is fine as is. Not sure why you haven't been able to maintain a sump, but a couple weeks is no big deal.

Jeff

Text mangled by iPhone spell check...

I'm with this guy again....:)

It really takes a good bit of hard work to kill the rock. Personally, I would just drain the old salt water and refil it with new saltwater and put it back in service.

justinf67
06/08/2011, 08:13 PM
thanks all, I just wasnt sure, Ill clean them up a bit... I couldnt maintain as I wasnt around for a while, so I just unplugged it instead of possibly running the pump dry