PDA

View Full Version : Algae Mushroom problems Newbie

ddavefish
06/07/2011, 08:12 PM
Help, please, with my problem:Mushrooms withering - Green hairy algae and red algae on sand

Size of tank: JBJ 28 cube

Age of tank 2 weeks- Moved established tank and water rocks ect to my house 2 weeks ago 1.5 yr old set up
Sump?
Skimmer: None
nitrate: 0
ammonia:0
temperature:80
Water source RO / Local SW premix
Salinity: 1.024]
Alkalinity: ?
Lights Stock PC
Calcium:
Magnesium
Dosing?
Specimen

The first week everything seemed fine I changed 5 gallons and then the Mushrooms seem to shrivel up got a lot of algea green hairy my snails all have coats of it i guess i need to take them out and clean them off bought some mex turbo and green crab to eat some of it the back glass is growing a THICk patch of it ithink I need to GRAB it and rip it OFF the walls ???

Help!!!:fish1:

Thank you!

tymon
06/07/2011, 08:39 PM
phosphates sound like the problem.

Michael
06/08/2011, 12:13 AM
also mushrooms shrivel up with too much flow, if they are happy and out it is difficult for algae to attach to them, it is common with large toadie stalks, but not mushrooms, you may have too much flow as well as poor quality water as your problem.

needmore-reef
06/08/2011, 02:23 AM
I assume you got the tank from someone and is new to you...

Algae growth is not a bad thing. remove what you can without disrupting everything.

I would test Ph and Alk or have a LFS test water and see if there is anything out of the ordinary.

stingythingy45
06/08/2011, 05:38 AM
You need to know what your alk is.
Get a test kit..it's essential.

streak
06/08/2011, 06:29 AM
Did you inheret any fish? With this setup? Are you feeding the tank? PO4 first suspect second might be high Nitrates becuse everything was disturbed in the move die off and such. I would get a skimmer for long term. Or HOB and start running carbon asap. IMHO. The red alge on the sand is probbly Cyno Bacteria a sign of new tank.. How many power heads you got flowing back and forth?

ddavefish
06/08/2011, 05:55 PM
I have the stoch JBJ 28 with PC llights

The small clown and Wrasse came with the tank. So did the Mushrooms and the tank is new to me . I forgot to mention I had a bunch of Small bubbles after my last Water change of 5 gallons My test Kit does not measure alk so I will have to get I to check this.
Maybe I should only change 2.5 gallons each week rather than 5 gallons???
Also I am only feeding Some Ocean Nutition Flakes these fish are small but they eat everthing I feed each day.

philosophile
06/08/2011, 06:37 PM
Bigger the water change, the better usually.

But I think the problem with your shroom might just be that its stressed from the move. Even if you use established live rock and such, the tank still might cycle, because of the sand being kicked up and disturbed, or any number of other reasons. So you just need some time I think.

duncantse
06/08/2011, 06:40 PM
First, get a reef test kit and tell us the results. This way, we can narrow down the problem. You said your nitrate is 0, when did you test this?

jimmy frag
06/08/2011, 06:48 PM
you said ro water, what about di...?

ddavefish
06/08/2011, 08:08 PM
I will Get the water tested tomorrow.

I may have siphoned up and moved some sand when I changed the water

I bought the water at the LFS its RO also premixed SW there also.

Maybe I do not have enough sand what is the depth for A Nano 28 gallon tank?

Thanks for all your input.

SHOULD I PULL the Hairy green algae off the Back Tank Wall??
The hermit and green crab are eating it from the rest of the tank...

Thanks

duncantse
06/08/2011, 09:11 PM
Are you looking for a shallow sand bed or deep sand bed? IMO, a 2" sandbed looks nice. And you should pull all the GHA (green hair algae) off of your tank. This way, your CUC can easily eat the short strands off.