PDA

View Full Version : Another annoying cycle question.

Psicloner
06/07/2011, 08:23 PM
Hey yall,

I recently just re setup my 55 gallon tank after replacing all the plastic parts and whatnot. I originally tore it down due to a bryopsis infection that I battled for months on end to no avail. It all started with a piece of live rock that I got from my friend to seed the tank.

This go around I have been very timid about adding live rock. So far I have all of the nuked dead rock in the tank with a bit of live sand(not really sure its alive to tell you the truth). Tank is being cycled with a single damsel. Will this be enough to complete the cycle process or do I have to go down the live rock path again. Bit nervous about that. Anyways thanks for future responses.

tymon
06/07/2011, 08:35 PM
damsel will start the cycle might not live through it though. do not be afraid of LR it is ur friend not ur enemy.

donwilson
06/07/2011, 11:18 PM
... cycled with a single damsel ....

Stop using live fish to cycle the system.

It'll cost you less than $1 to get a nice sized dead shrimp from a grocery store and it'll give you more than enough ammonia to jump start your cycle.

Michael
06/08/2011, 12:11 AM
You can add a shrimp as suggested above, or drop flake food in every couple of days, you will need to monitor ammonia and nitrite and nitrate via test kits to see how strong and long the cycle period is, my advice is to remove the damsel now, they are little nusiences and should be added at the end of stocking not the beginning if you really want one, and if you don't really want it, it will be difficult to get him out later when the tank has matured and is looking good, better now than later.