PDA

View Full Version : First Coral

mvreef
06/07/2011, 08:29 PM
Does anyone have any opinions on a Kenya tree as my first coral for my 29g?

Are the hardy and easy to keep?

organism
06/08/2011, 05:42 PM
They're easy to keep, but aren't they mostly brown? You might want to try the softies forum...

RokleM
06/09/2011, 06:58 AM
[moved]...

m758b033
06/09/2011, 04:53 PM
Kenya trees are an excellent choice for a beginner coral and were actually one of my first coral. What kind of lighting do you have? I ran some MH on mine for a while and they did ok, but once I switched to t5s there was a noticeable difference in health, and it was in a good way. Keep them in some moderate to heavy flow, but don't put flow directly on them. They will also grow like a weed once they get going.
I believe the biggest thing to practice when you start getting into corals is keep your water conditions stable. Your salinity doesn't have to be precisely at 1.026 or 25, mine is sitting at 1.027, but because I keep it stable there my corals do fine.

jeff@zina.com
06/10/2011, 02:28 PM
Kenya Trees are an interesting, hardy and forgiving coral, making them a good first coral. My guess is there is someone within 20 miles of you that would happily give you some, it grows that fast and, for many, becomes a boring coral after the thrill wears off. Personally, I like it. But maybe my thrill level takes a lot of wear... :)

Jeff

Curious George
06/16/2011, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I like Kenya. It's a great first coral. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder: and I think they are an attractive addition to a tank, especially when well grown with polyps open. They will spread once they are happy, but they can be peeled from rock and disposed of or given/traded to fellow hobbyists.