PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Newbie with brown algae Ugh!!!

kar2oons
06/07/2011, 08:39 PM
Hi all,
Need some help from the Saltwater gurus on my tank issue. I have a 55gl new almost 2 months. I currently have a brown algae outbreak and I know its due to using tap water......I know I messed up. I ordered a RO/DI unit and I should get any day and I ordered a clean up crew from reefcleaners.org my blue streak cleaner wrasse and one of my peppermint shrimp died today. Ive been cleaning algae of glass and have tried cleaning some off rocks and my 4 turbo snails are losing the battle. What I need right now is some advice to get this under control I'm worried my other fish or corals may die. Thank you all!
:uhoh2:

tymon
06/07/2011, 08:43 PM
well that tap water has introduced phosphates and nitrate into the tank which leads to brown algae. water changes would be my advise once you get the RO/DI. brown algae with not kill fish though. why did thoughs fish die secondary problems?

kar2oons
06/07/2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the reply, well I did change heaters because the one I had messed up so there may have been a change in water temp. I have checked my levels the other day and they seemed fine PH,Amonia,Nitrite,Nitrate and Salinity. I just added another powerhead to increase flow to combat algae and vacummed my sand. Do you think I need a protein skimmer or anything else......

tymon
06/07/2011, 09:20 PM
running a protein skimmer is a good idea if you can afford one. just make sure its a good quality do not buy a cheaper end one. did you notice a change in temp that is why you changed the heater? also what test kits do you use.

kar2oons
06/07/2011, 09:34 PM
Yeah the water was getting cool and realized the heater was not working so I added new one. I have a test kit I bought from Petco (API Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit) that test PH, Amonia, Nitrates, Nitrite and Alkalinity. I prob need to to get a refractometer I currently use a hydrometer and I hear they aren't the best. Should I get some hermits to help clean up?

tymon
06/07/2011, 09:40 PM
i would not buy anything else right now. wait till you stablize your water. get the RO/DI water change done ASAP. how cool was the temp, API test are pretty good so you should be fine on that. refractometer is the way to go in a reef tank. the hermits and snails will not affect the brown algae that much. it is not a quick fix. i just would keep scraping it off and be aware of phosphates and nirates right now. keep up water changes with RO/DI water and you will be fine. Brown algae is common when using tap water.

kar2oons
06/07/2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks I will definately do that, Im just hoping my filter comes soon! I may just need to buy some water in the meantime.....just so expensive. Ill go out tomorrow and buy refractometer and bid fairwell to hydrometer. My zoa coral seems happy though :-P

tymon
06/07/2011, 10:27 PM
i would just be careful right now and not add anything and try to figure out why some of your livestock died. you can wait on the water change for a bit do not bother buying waste of money. brown algae is not a serious problem it can be if untreated for a long time or in mass amounts but you will get it under control soon i wouldnt worry about it. focus on why some of the live stock died that is more important. it could be secondary to why the brown algae bloomed.

Michael
06/08/2011, 12:00 AM
water quality is the issue and when you get your ro-di machine do a large 30% water change, also the brown algae is diatoms and that occurs on most tanks, it will die off when you start regulary changing water with pure high quality water, you may want to get a phosban reactor now to get the phos you added to the tank via the tap water out of the water stream and you will be on your way to a better cleaner tank.

Mike

MattAndKim
06/08/2011, 01:03 AM
The hydrometer and tap water are unlikely to be the source of your problem. Cheap hydrometers are sometimes just as exact as a refractometer and your tap water may not have high nutrient concentrations. Evaluate your husbandry. Tap water did not kill your livestock, something else you are doing did, like maybe overfeeding or not providing a stable environment.

thebkramer
06/08/2011, 01:41 AM
The hydrometer and tap water are unlikely to be the source of your problem. Cheap hydrometers are sometimes just as exact as a refractometer and your tap water may not have high nutrient concentrations. Evaluate your husbandry. Tap water did not kill your livestock, something else you are doing did, like maybe overfeeding or not providing a stable environment.

+1

you can also have your tap water tested ;)

dzfish17
06/08/2011, 07:43 AM
You may have added too many fish to your system too soon. If your tank is only 1 1/2 mo. old you should slow down and not add anymore livestock to the tank until you figure out what is going on. The cleaner wrasse is a fish for experienced aquarists and you probably shouldnt get another one. Adding a skimmer will help keep your water alot cleaner and is a good idea.

kar2oons
06/08/2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all the help, not adding anymore livestock to my tank. The cleaner wrasse was suggested by person at LFS. So much to learn.......I will definately work on stabilizing my tank before even considering adding anything else. What would be a good filter to add in my tank to keep it clean?

btw I read up on the cleaner wrasse after I purchased and realized its a tough guy to keep alive and your right It doesn't belong in a newbie tank.

charleneatkins
06/08/2011, 12:36 PM
I have been back in the hobby for 2 years and have some life lessons under my belt but have been caught "trusting" the LFS. You are in a good place for honest advice from these folks. Its a rewarding and frustrating hobby but I :inlove: it.

saltysailor2329
06/08/2011, 03:11 PM
but mine wasn't from using tap water...I had elevated phosphate levels. I listened to everyone here and did regular water changes (15% every three days) and now I almost have it fully under control...just fighting a small amount on sand bed. I'm continuing with water changes and making sure that I don't overfeed.

Good luck!

saltydogs
06/08/2011, 03:23 PM
make sure all the water goes through a rood unit. and yes a water change is due