PDA

View Full Version : Charging A Closed Loop System?

peppie
06/07/2011, 09:24 PM
I am adding a closed loop to my tank. Do I need charge the system? If so do I charge it at the intake? or do I charge it at the return line. I thought I seen a pic some where that showed a vertical pipe that was capped after water was poured into it to charge the system. Cant remember if it was on the intake or return.
Seems to me once you fill the tank it would charge itself.
Help please.

ashlerbam
06/07/2011, 10:29 PM
I am adding a closed loop to my tank. Do I need charge the system? If so do I charge it at the intake? or do I charge it at the return line. I thought I seen a pic some where that showed a vertical pipe that was capped after water was poured into it to charge the system. Cant remember if it was on the intake or return.
Seems to me once you fill the tank it would charge itself.
Help please.

I think the common term used is Priming or to Prime the pump. Not trying to bust balls but just getting us on the same page. If your intake line is on the bottom or somewhere below the main water level in the system the water should run down to the pump before the tanks full with water. So you would not have to worry about priming the pump.

peppie
06/07/2011, 10:40 PM
Thanks Asherbam
I dont mind the correction. I have pretty thick skin.
My intake is well above the pump. I must have got my systems and pics confused. Thanks again.

disc1
06/07/2011, 10:56 PM
charging or priming depends on where you live and what brand of english you speak. Kinda like car hoods and bonnets.

As long as the pump is below the water line, the water will run to it by gravity. A pump above the water line might not be the best idea.

peppie
06/07/2011, 11:08 PM
My grandma wore a car hood to church every Sunday LOL

disc1
06/07/2011, 11:11 PM
My grandma wore a car hood to church every Sunday LOL

:lmao:

And she put the trunk on her feet.

ashlerbam
06/08/2011, 08:35 AM
HAHA. Well I apologize for the correction statement cause I had never heard charging before. Only way I would think you need to charged/primed if you have the intake in your overflow box. Or at least make sure that's totally full before you start it up. But even that should already be covered in before you start the pumps up so you can get max water volume.

peppie
06/08/2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys.

evsalty
06/08/2011, 10:46 AM
I thought I seen a pic some where that showed a vertical pipe that was capped after water was poured into it to charge the system..

That was most likely on the Intake and was an over the top of the tank intake and needed to be primed in order to get water to the pump. Like this one :

http://www.melevsreef.com/plumbing/scwd_sideview.jpg

If you drill your tank you will not need to worry about priming the closed llop like said above.

peppie
06/08/2011, 06:28 PM
evsalty,
That must have been it. Thanks for your response.
I have got it figured out now
Thanks all