PDA

View Full Version : Too many fish for a 150 gallon tank?

hefeweizan
06/07/2011, 10:11 PM
:bounce3:

Do I have to many fish in my 150 gallon reef? 48x24x30

powder blue tang
chevron tang
blue tang
pair true perculas
bellus angel pair
tail spot blenny pair
carpenter's wrasse pair
hoeven's wrasse pair

total= 13

tymon
06/07/2011, 10:13 PM
that should be fine until that blue tang gets huge

hefeweizan
06/07/2011, 10:20 PM
i also want to add a pair of flame or potters angels, just looking for my lfs to get some nice specimens.

i feel like i should still be able to add another 4 fish.

tymon
06/07/2011, 10:22 PM
i would stop where you are it is already pretty full. remember the fish you have get big.

solitude127
06/07/2011, 11:05 PM
I have 17 fish in my tank including
PB
Purple Tang
3 lyretails
2 Tierra anthia
pair of perculas
multicolored angel
mida blenny
6 line wrasse
blotched anthia

and a couple other smaller fish that I can't think of right now.
What sort of nutrient export do you have?

hefeweizan
06/08/2011, 12:13 PM
I have a deltec apf600 protein skimmer with a standard wet/dry. i do bi-weekly water changes of either 30-35 gallons.

Toddrtrex
06/08/2011, 01:01 PM
IMO, you have 2 fish that will end up getting too big for that tank -- the Powder blue and the "Hippo" tang. I would remove those before attempting to add a pair of dwarf angels.

stovenut
06/08/2011, 01:22 PM
+1 Todd's thought.

If it's a bioload question, you're fine, and have room for more fish. But it's more a swimming room issue. Both tangs mentioned need more swimming room, ie: 6' long tank with room to get their aggressiveness out within the water column. Otherwise their demeanor is likely to change for the worse over time.

You could have 4 or 5 tangs if you wanted, but you'd need to choose species such as yellow, purple, kole, tomini or other similar sized tang.

If you keep those 2 beautiful fish, understand that you will not be able to safely add fish to that system. And you may need to set up multiple nori feeding stations for those 2 guys to eat separate from eachother, and add lots of hiding spaces for your smaller fish to feel safe from aggressiveness.

snorvich
06/08/2011, 01:37 PM
IMO, you have 2 fish that will end up getting too big for that tank -- the Powder blue and the "Hippo" tang. I would remove those before attempting to add a pair of dwarf angels.

Agreed. :strange:

boltzfan
06/08/2011, 04:02 PM
I have a 150g and heres my fish list

Blue hippo tang
Kole Tang
Copperband bf
Moorish Idol
Pair of True percs
A b&w occ
Tailspot blenny
Bicolor blenny
Blue Spotted Jawfish
Blue Mandarin
Pink spotted goby
Firefish
5 Chromis
Leopard Wrasse
Mckoskers Wrasse

But my tank is 6ft long so It doesnt seem very full, but definately have a lot going on inside ;)

IE_TANG
06/08/2011, 04:31 PM
ANY PICS? I HAVE THE SAME SIZE DIMENSION TANK. I'D LIKE TO SEE HOW YOUR'S IS SETUP...
SORRY :uhoh2:I DON'T MEAN TO JACK THE THREAD

mwilliams62
06/08/2011, 05:48 PM
i also want to add a pair of flame or potters angels, just looking for my lfs to get some nice specimens.

i feel like i should still be able to add another 4 fish.

DO NOT add a Flame Angel to a tank with Corals I have read a couple of other forums and they had a field day on the corals in the tanks.!!!!

Moonstream
06/08/2011, 06:17 PM
^ not all do, although many seem to turn over time. potter's seem to be safer than flames, plus they're less aggressive as they age.

Toddrtrex
06/08/2011, 06:33 PM
IME, Potter's are just as, if not more, aggressive then Flames, and seem to like the same corals -- fleshy LPS.

hefeweizan
06/08/2011, 09:30 PM
i wish i knew how to post pics, send me your email address and i will send you some pics...

i always heard that potters are more aggressive that flame angels

snorvich
06/09/2011, 05:16 AM
i wish i knew how to post pics, send me your email address and i will send you some pics...

i always heard that potters are more aggressive that flame angels

As Todd said. In any case, dwarf angels and meaty LPS don't normally do well together.

Crusty Old Shellback
06/09/2011, 10:01 AM
I've never had any issues with dwarf angles and meaty corals. But then again, I probably feed more than most. ;)

As for the tangs you have, they get big and need swimming room. As sugested, if you want more fish, you may want to look at removing those two and look for tangs that are smaller in their adult size. Beleive me, it dosen't take long for them to grow to adult size, maye a year or so. ;)

hefeweizan
06/11/2011, 10:49 PM
Hey Crusty,

what small tangs would you suggest that done get so big?

stovenut
06/12/2011, 05:58 AM
You could have 4 or 5 tangs if you wanted, but you'd need to choose species such as yellow, purple, kole, tomini or other similar sized tang.

Any of the bristletooth tangs would stay small, but the tomini is quite striking. Yellows and purples could be added in a small group. (I have 4 yellows and 8 tangs total in my 240.) A kole is a great addition, but choose a good specimen, as some are not as colorful. You could also try a convict or one of the mimic tangs if you like either of those. Maybe there is another that I'm leaving out, but I think that's your list.

Crusty Old Shellback
06/13/2011, 07:50 AM
Hey Crusty,

what small tangs would you suggest that done get so big?

yellows and purples are about all that come to mind right now. There may be others but you'll have to do a little research on line and see what their overall size is as well is how thye look.

thebkramer
06/13/2011, 07:55 AM
here is a great thread RC put together for Tangs ;)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946007

hefeweizan
06/13/2011, 10:00 PM
what i'm interested in adding to the tank is more wrasses, jawfish, and dwarf angels. maybe even a cardinal

Crusty Old Shellback
06/14/2011, 07:59 AM
If you want to add some of thos efish, then i would say ditch most of your tangs and go that route. There are some beautiful wrasses, some do get big though.

For dwarf angles, there are some beautiful colors in them as well. I currently have a pair of lemon peel angles, Coral beauty and Ebili angle all in my 400 G with no problems.

Jawfish are also cool but will tend to move all your sand around. Also take a look at some of teh anthias. Lots of cool colors in them as well and they stay small.

Palting
06/14/2011, 08:13 AM
what i'm interested in adding to the tank is more wrasses, jawfish, and dwarf angels. maybe even a cardinal

Your 150 is alreadt full. You need a second tank ;). Seems like you like to keep a lot of fish, and are less interested in coral. So, go for a FOWLR. That way you don't have to worry about angels going for the coral, etc. And, you also don't have to worry about keeping your parameters as pristine.