PDA

View Full Version : begginners questions

muitroc
06/08/2011, 12:00 AM
hi,

New to reef central. I have been starting my 90 gallon reef tank for almost 5 months now and just today added my first type of coral. I had forgotten to find out what kind it was amidst my excitement of my purchase.

Equipment:

48" PC 4 x 54 watt w/ lunar leds do not know brand
Coralife 125 Super Skimmer
Penn Plax Cascade 1200 Canister Filter
Coralife HOB Overflow w/ Dual Outlets
29g Sump with 2 chambers, one small 10" wide chamber and one large, no return pump
2 Koralia Evolution 750 gph

Livestock:

2 true percula clownfish
1 yellowtail damsel
1 fairy wrasse
1 bicolor blennie
3 peppermint shrimp
60 lb LR mainly fiji

Questions:

Which color of lighting is preffered for reefing? Should I do all one color or half daylights half actinics?

What size return pump would go with my setup? My overflow handles 1200 - 1500 gph.

How should I setup my sump? I plan on using a HOB refugium. Only two chambers. Which one should house the return and where should the overflow come in?

A few of the polyps fell off the LR chunk when I brought it home what should I do with them? They are sitting on the sand but are open and not closed.

Michael
06/08/2011, 12:04 AM
I prefer 14,000k and 20,000k lamps, one question, how much live rock have you got?

pmrossetti
06/08/2011, 12:20 AM
that's not much light for a 90g. I'd double it.
pick the colors you like to look at. maybe a 2 to1 blues to whites.

I avoid overflow boxes so I can't help there.

Have the large chamber house the skimmer and drains, small chamber for return pump.

put the polyps on the rocks

muitroc
06/08/2011, 08:23 AM
I have 60 lbs of live rock and another 40 that is cured for my sump.

As for the lighting I completely agree... its a work in progress but it is much more sufficient than the fluorescent I had before. They make 14k bulbs for power compacts? Anybody got pics of there reefs with different colors? I want the best look and feel for my corals. I also have a 400 watt halide that is retrofit but I have not built my canopy yet.
Its hard to do 2 to 1 with only 4 bulbs lol. Would actinics work with my setup or do I need a separate fixture for actinic bulbs?

In my sump should I put all the live rock in the skimmer chamber as well? Should anything else be put in the return chamber? Detailed descriptions would be much appreciated.

muitroc
06/08/2011, 09:04 AM

As for the lighting I completely agree... its a work in progress but it is much more sufficient than the fluorescent I had before. They make 14k bulbs for power compacts? Anybody got pics of there reefs with different colors? I want the best look and feel for my corals. I also have a 400 watt halide that is retrofit but I have not built my canopy yet.
Its hard to do 2 to 1 with only 4 bulbs lol. Would actinics work with my setup or do I need a separate fixture for actinic bulbs?

In my sump should I put all the live rock in the skimmer chamber as well? Should anything else be put in the return chamber? Detailed descriptions would be much appreciated.

Michael
06/08/2011, 09:45 AM
considering the amount of live rock you have I'd suggest removing the canister and keep the tank as live rock and flow with a skimmer, you will fair better long term, the amount of lighting you have now with your stock list is perfectly adequate, you just need to get the right color scheme in there, as for the sump rock positioning, I'd suggest in the area away from the skimmer and return pump, if your sump is 3 conpartment then in the middle will be fine, keep things simple, rock, flow, skimmer, regular water changes, don't add too much stock too quickly and you will be fine, welcome to the Forum, great to see you.

Kind Regards

Mike

pentrix2
06/08/2011, 09:48 AM
i can't comment on your lighting but i can comment on your sump.

this is how my sump looks like

the first chamber has my skimmer and where my water comes in, 2/5 size of sump

the second chamber is my refug with live rock, 2/5 size of sump

the third chamber is small that does the return water, roughly 1/5 size of my sump. the return chamber is empty, but just filled with water.

in my other tank, the return chamber has my heater, UV sterlizer, chiller, temp probe, PH probe, and media reactor

Thisseemsfishy
06/08/2011, 10:04 AM

Welcome!!!!

I used to have PC fixtures on my tank. I had split 10k/460 and 460/420 bulb, this gave me a nice blue color and made the colors pop. You might even go with a 65k/460 if you can find it, the 65k will bring out the yellow and red. Softies and some LPS will be fine under that light.

Take a look at this, I think it will give you a good idea of the combinations you can create.
http://www.marinedepot.com/lighting_powercompact_compact-fluorescent_bulbs-ap.html

I want add that I agree and would take off the canister filter so your LR can really take over and do the job.

charleneatkins
06/08/2011, 12:49 PM
Comment on lites, I have 6-t5's over my 55. I have the outside ones with actinic coming on 1 hour before my other 4 and they are a mixed array of whites and a pink.
My tank was converted from fresh-brackish-salt. I kept my canister but I run just extra carbon and filter bags thru it. I have about 60-70 lbs of LR.
I am still in the process of upgrades. Always looking for a place for my excess cash:lmao: Charlene

muitroc
06/08/2011, 01:35 PM
I have live rock rubble like 2 lbs worth in my canister and I run carbon and trap the detritus since I can easily rinse out the foam pads during feeding. Would it still be beneficial to run it without the canister? Is my flow rate with my koralia exolutions okay? I want to add two more that flow along the front of the tank?

pentrix2
06/09/2011, 05:07 AM
IMO i don't think you need two more koralia in the front because that would create too much flow. where's your other two koralia position at? is it on the back pointing forward?

muitroc
06/09/2011, 08:15 AM
IMO i don't think you need two more koralia in the front because that would create too much flow. where's your other two koralia position at? is it on the back pointing forward?

On on the left side panel on top back and one on right side panel top back
Both pointing towards front center ... I juat want no deadspots... does anyone know the formula for finding out how much water evaporation I get everyday? I have to do it manually and id really like to know how much I should be doing.

kduen
06/09/2011, 08:22 AM
On on the left side panel on top back and one on right side panel top back
Both pointing towards front center ... I juat want no deadspots... does anyone know the formula for finding out how much water evaporation I get everyday? I have to do it manually and id really like to know how much I should be doing.

It will vary tank to tank, and season to season. Three months ago I would lose about a gallon a day in my 90gal and now it's up to almost two gallons a day.