PDA

View Full Version : Painting the background on my running 210 gal reef tank

supervdl
06/08/2011, 12:14 AM
The one thing I definitely forgot doing on my tank is to paint the background before I had set it up. Hover, I want to correct this now with a black paint. I have about 5 to 6 inches room behind the tank to do the job.

I think any film, plastic etc would be tough due to the tank being unmovable and rolling on paint might be the best idea. spray paint obviously also not an option on a running tank in the family room.

Any suggestions on how to do it and what type of black paint that's most safe on a running tank of this size?

Thanks.

viks
06/08/2011, 12:21 AM
If you're gonna paint the outside back, I would use rostoleum, oil based. It sticks to glass better than water based. I applied 3 coats with a very smooth roller and it looks really good. Even the flat black has a little gloss to it.

supervdl
06/08/2011, 12:22 AM
Forgot to mention that the back is encrusted with salt deposits. What's the best way to clean it and prepare it for painting? Thanks.

needmore-reef
06/08/2011, 12:53 AM
a dish brush and water will get salt creep up. but make sure its clean because you can only paint once.

I used water based latex paint with a small roller and it worked great.

good luck

Kronic87
06/08/2011, 12:56 AM
I have a 30 gal tank and i painted it black b4 this tank i had a 20 gal long arcylic tank and i painted it black with krylon arylic latex enamel gloss indoor out door paint. it worked fine on both tanks you just have to set that first coat nicely with a roll on brush the smooth kind. be patient when doing this have a fan blow indirectly. i put like 5 coats.

supervdl
06/08/2011, 09:33 AM
Any specific paint brands that anyone had good experience with?

mcrist
06/08/2011, 10:54 AM
I did the same thing with my old Oceanic 215 tank about 10 years ago. It was a real pain in the butt but it turned out ok. I just purchased a small roller and extender stick and rolled on the paint. I was able to across the back of the tank with roller/extender to get half the tank then I went over to the other side. I think the key was to have nothing hanging over the back of the tank and to make sure it was clean. I didn’t have any problem with salt creep so I can’t help you there. Maybe a wet sponge would do the trick. The paint job was messy but you couldn’t tell from the front of the tank. I just used some blue hobby paint that I purchased from Walmart. I was surprised how well it covered with one coat and long it lasted and it was cheap.

D-Nak
06/08/2011, 05:11 PM
I have a 120 gallon glass tank and wanted a black back. Instead of painting it, I purchased a piece of ABS plastic, about 1/8" thick, cut to the dimensions of the back glass.The ABS sheet sits on the plastic trim and is cut so that the top and bottom trim of the tank holds it in place. I have Vortechs mounted to the back of the tank that keep it in place as well.

Black ABS has a slight texture to it, which I find nice. Once the back glass gets speckled with coralline, it's even harder to tell that the back wasn't painted.

Since it's not permanent, if you want to switch colors or clean it (no need for me to clean it since the upper trim of the tank actually prevents anything from getting in between the ABS and the tank itself), you can just slide out the black ABS.

cboy
06/08/2011, 06:09 PM
I'm using black posterboard on the back of my tank, because like you i didnt paint it before filling it.

works ok for me =)

evoi19
06/08/2011, 06:55 PM
i have an elos 120 and instead of painting it black i bought a black acrylic 1/16" cut to size. double sided the edges and looks perfect. Did this while the tank was running and took only 5min.

kissman
06/08/2011, 07:51 PM
goto Home Depot and get the acrylic paint and roll a few coats on. The sample jar they have will cover 6sq feet. takes about 4-5 coats

supervdl
06/09/2011, 02:24 PM
I hear you about the plastic, but given the size of the tank and it being agaist a wall, I think the painting with roller seems to be the best idea.

0 tds
06/09/2011, 04:05 PM
When you clean the glass, use RODI water. It is the best wat to clean the glass.