PDA

View Full Version : Blue chromis

tomaquar
06/08/2011, 08:45 AM
Does anyone have experience with blue chromis?

I have a 55 gal bare bottom and would like some color. Damsels tend to be a problem. Too small for blue tang.

Am I hoping for too much if Im looking for a fish with a damsels color and a chromis temperment?

thanks

disc1
06/08/2011, 08:58 AM
There's not going to be a lot of difference in temperment between a damsel and a chromis. Technically I think a chromis is a type of damsel.

DFWBill
06/08/2011, 09:08 AM
I have a school (5) of Green Chromis in a 70T... they are cool to watch scooting in and round the rock work/corals. I've never had a problem with them.

ReeferBill
06/08/2011, 09:15 AM
Blue Chromis have the same temperment as the green chromis.Great schooling and great community fish. Get 6 small ones for some bright blue color.:fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2::fish2:

Chris27
06/08/2011, 09:16 AM
They can be aggressive towards each other, but that's about it. They are very good tank mates with everything else....except possibly a fish that can fit them comfortably in their mouth....

Reefers Digest
06/08/2011, 09:17 AM
Blue Chromis (Chromis cyanea) are extremely similar to Blue-Green Chromis (Chromis viridis) in disposition. They tend to be fairly peaceful, however, they may display intrachromis aggression towards weaker and/or smaller members (see: the countless posts about 5 Chromis turning into 1). With sufficient tank volume, I've found this to subside.

In concerns to the first reply, I completely disagree. Chromis rarely tend to display the kind of inter-species aggression other Pomacentridae, mainly the those with the name extension "damsel" do.

One last interesting fact: C. cyanea are of western Atlantic origin, while C. viridis are of Indo-Pacific origin... for those considering biotopes.

b0bab0ey
06/08/2011, 09:50 AM
Years ago I used to keep schools of these fish without any problems. Never noticed any aggression between them. Now I can't keep any alive. They either just die in QT or disappear once I put them in the DT. I've been reading posts from people who say they start out with 6 or 7, and are down to only 1 after a few months. They claim they kill one another off. It's weird how experiences with the same fish change over time.

disc1
06/08/2011, 10:07 AM
Years ago I used to keep schools of these fish without any problems. Never noticed any aggression between them. Now I can't keep any alive. They either just die in QT or disappear once I put them in the DT. I've been reading posts from people who say they start out with 6 or 7, and are down to only 1 after a few months. They claim they kill one another off. It's weird how experiences with the same fish change over time.

I've always had that experience. They eventually winnow themselves down to one. I did read recently that the secret to preventing that is to have something bigger and more aggresive than they are. It forces them to school for safety and they won't pick on one another so much.

b0bab0ey
06/08/2011, 10:32 AM
I've always had that experience. They eventually winnow themselves down to one. I did read recently that the secret to preventing that is to have something bigger and more aggresive than they are. It forces them to school for safety and they won't pick on one another so much.

Interesting theory. I've also been told if you put any damsel in a large enough tank that will cut back on their aggression. I always used to keep a small school of Chromis in this 58g reef I've had on and off for the past 20 years. Back then it wasn't a problem. Now, it's a problem... :confused:

MattAndKim
06/08/2011, 10:50 AM
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/5/fish

Mr.Tan
06/08/2011, 12:39 PM
i've had 2 blue/green chromis in my tank from the start and they never show any aggression towards one another or towards any other fish. They just stick together and swim around the tank.

ccalabro
06/08/2011, 12:47 PM

I have definitely had this experience in my tank (5 down to 1)...the theory about adding a damsel to prevent this is interesting...anyone else have experience with it?

tomaquar
06/08/2011, 05:18 PM
Thanks all. If anyone has any input on the idea of putting in one damsel to keep them calm I would be interested.

b0bab0ey
06/08/2011, 05:43 PM
I've also been told if you put any damsel in a large enough tank that will cut back on their aggression.

I think maybe I need to clarify. I meant that I was told by someone that if you put ANY DAMSEL in a large enough aquarium, say 100+ gal, that cuts down on THAT DAMSEL'S AGGRESSION. I think it's because they don't feel the need to be so territorial if the tank is large enough. I wasn't meaning if you already had a school of Chromis in the tank and added a Damsel, that would make the Chromis stop fighting amongst themselves and band together. Another poster said if you added an aggressive fish it might force the Chromis to school together out of necessity. Not sure if he had a regular Damsel in mind when he said this.

cloak
06/08/2011, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE=tomaquar;18876155]Does anyone have experience with blue chromis?/QUOTE]

Kind of "delicate" in my opinion.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/hcs3/index.php

LinkinReef
06/08/2011, 07:11 PM
I have 6 of them in my 210 and they only show a tiny bit of aggression towards each other