PDA

View Full Version : Can I add more fish to my 50g?

sushibug
06/08/2011, 01:41 PM
Was thinking about adding a sixline wrasse or a scooter dragonnet. Do I still have enough room to work with in my 50g?

Current stock list:
2 false perc. clownfish
1 midas blenny
1 coral beauty

disc1
06/08/2011, 01:47 PM
should be OK. Not a big six-line fan myself, but it shouldn't overload you.

EllieSuz
06/08/2011, 01:56 PM
The Scooter has the same feeding habits as a Mandarin. It's possible to keep one in a 50, but you should allow the tank to mature first and have a refugium that can serve as a breeding ground for pods without any predators. Six Lines get very aggressive. I have six fish in a 60 gallon, but it is heavily skimmed and water changes are frequent. You should be able to add a couple more fish, but one at a time with a week or two between them. You might look into a pair of Flasher Wrasses for color and movement if your tank is covered. Lots of good fish from which to choose if you do some homework first. You don't say whether you quarantine. If not, this would be a great time to start.

thebkramer
06/08/2011, 02:04 PM
The Scooter has the same feeding habits as a Mandarin. It's possible to keep one in a 50, but you should allow the tank to mature first and have a refugium that can serve as a breeding ground for pods without any predators. Six Lines get very aggressive. I have six fish in a 60 gallon, but it is heavily skimmed and water changes are frequent. You should be able to add a couple more fish, but one at a time with a week or two between them. You might look into a pair of Flasher Wrasses for color and movement if your tank is covered. Lots of good fish from which to choose if you do some homework first. You don't say whether you quarantine. If not, this would be a great time to start.

+1
I don't see how you wouldn't LOVE having a pair of McCosker's Flasher Wrasses in there!!!! :bounce3: A-MAAAZING fish!! so much character!! :frog:

sushibug
06/08/2011, 03:57 PM

I'm familiar with the idea behind quarantining but I only have a hospital tank (which I originally bought to setup as a quarantine tank). When I got the midas blenny and coral beauty I just threw them in there (after acclimating) and all is well. I know I'm taking my chances here but the wife hates the idea of a second tank, especially when I had it setup on our dining room table.

Regarding scooter dragonets, my LFS feels that they are smarter than mandarins; they are easier to train to eat frozen food.

Thanks for the advice all.

TreyK
06/08/2011, 04:01 PM
I love my six line.. probably my favorite fish right after my midas blenny.

BTW I have a midas, coral beauty, blue-green chromis, six line wrasse, and black occ. in my 40 breeder. Everyone gets along great.

sushibug
06/08/2011, 04:22 PM
I love my six line.. probably my favorite fish right after my midas blenny.

BTW I have a midas, coral beauty, blue-green chromis, six line wrasse, and black occ. in my 40 breeder. Everyone gets along great.

how many chromis? was considering them for shoaling but not sure if they'll kill each other.

TreyK
06/08/2011, 04:27 PM
I just have one (of everybody). Never wanted more than that, he is like a crack head for movement :)