PDA

View Full Version : wellso question

ebojo
06/08/2011, 05:03 PM
I have had this wellso for about a month now. When I first got it, it was very thick. Lately, it seems to be shrinking into a much thinner "sheet". Any ideas what is going on? It is on the sand bed, in low flow, but is fed every other day.

Palting
06/08/2011, 05:04 PM
Wellso have feeding tentacles that come out only at night. Are you feeding it at night?

ebojo
06/08/2011, 05:09 PM
yup. and it kinda balls up, so i assume it is eating. would it do that if something was touching it? i added a few new frags on the sand bed, and 2 of which kinda got pushed up against it, so that it was barely touch it.

alton
06/09/2011, 05:50 AM
Wellso's love a little nitrate(2-5ppm) and good quality lighting. Doesn't have to be real bright, I keep all three of mine on the sand under 250w MH, but I have kept them under CFL but had to change the lamps every 8 months. One of mine is 10+ years old. The good part of them is they are forgiving, so you have several weeks to figure out what is missing? Oh and by the way I have never spot fed mine.

inigomontoya
06/09/2011, 11:58 AM
My wellso's also don't get target feeding. One was fnicky and would have isues whenever flow was direct or when any sand got on it- delicate balance betwen the two. A couple of times it shrunk up a bit and I took it out and fed it cyclops in a bowl by itself for an hour. It loved it and bounced right back.
Amusingly that one got hosted by a clownfish and it keeps it clean of all sand and dug a moat in the sand around him to "protect" it. Have heard they can be too agressive in their "loving", but the wellso loves it and has been no maintenance ever since.
Give it a true, in bowl, isolated feeding and then play with the flow to see what it likes best.