PDA

View Full Version : The Evolution of our Reef Tank

jmagen
06/08/2011, 05:20 PM
This will document the evolution and building of the 75gallon Reef Tank
(aka PITA..aka Money Hemorrhage..aka pretty awesome with even more awesomeness potential).

Eric (BF) decided that we needed a fish tank.... About 10+ years ago he had like 8-15 tanks and was very good at them... but I think my memory is better than his.... He said he really wanted to do one and with my urging we decided on Salt water/Reef... what a frigging PITA... from the plumbing to perfecting the water flow... you have to have the exact flow out of the tank as you do into the tank.. or it can cause major issues.. like over-flowing... We are still fighting this battle and it seems to be one of those things that not many people talk about... so any insight on this would of course be helpful!

Saturday - 5/28/2011
We decided to stop by Petsmart to look around and apparently discuss the idea a bit - It had been in his head and I guess it finally came to fruition.

We had the kids with us (my 4.5yr old and our 2yr old daughter). We decided to do Saltwater - I had in my head that I wanted Seahorses - but of course knew very little and have never done tanks before. (we have now decided against Seahorses after some research)

We decided on a 75gallon with a stand and talked with someone who seemed to know a bit about saltwater.

We left the store with the following:

75 gallon tank
Stand
20lb live sand
20lb live crushed coral
20lb live aragonite
Fluval Pump
Heater/Thermo

We got home and built the stand and placed the tank on top.

We filled the tank with the sand mixture and filled tap water (bad move.. we know and fixed it.. but this is the daily account)... added the salt and hooked up the Fluval pump to start to cycle the system.

Sunday - 5/29/2011

We got up and decided to hit two local fish stores that specialize in Reef/Saltwater.

After speaking with the owner at the first store we changed our tactics a bit.

I had also done a fair amount of research and decided that we could in fact NOT have seahorses – that if we ever did get seahorses, it would be a separate tank…

We bought 50lbs of live rock and on his recommendation, 2 Chromis (I know this can be controversial… we are learning people) and some frozen brine shrimp food.

Eric went to the second store on his own and by the time I had gotten home we had the CPR Protein Skimmer, a wet sump and a different pump. He had also taken out 50% of the water and replaced it with RO water and had gotten the salt levels back to the correct levels.

I then later went back to the same store to get directions for the Sump, that were missing and ended up purchasing the CPR overflow.

We re-plumbed the system – This is now a pattern…… and had the tank running… we then realized (due to the water flow and trying to figure out a fish screen) that Eric had in fact had put the overflow in backwards and upside down  Talk about not reading the directions…. When we figured that out, we realized that the tank was too close to the wall… so with some careful usage of a crow bar we moves it out from the wall (Eric had done this earlier in the day during the water change to try and level out the tank.. and after utilizing some particle board, was able to do so).

We took apart the CPR overflow, got it back together correctly – ran to the hardware store for more PVC connectors and re-plumbed the system… AGAIN….

What we found was that the intake/outtake was not working.. It seemed that we could not get enough water from the tank to the sump to keep up with the pump…We (ie, Eric) – then pulled out the overflow and RE-PLUMBED (yes.. again) the system to be a simple PCV intake Siphon.

We later realized that while he sucked out the air to get flow… that maybe he had not actually gotten ALL the air out….

So currently… We have this plumbing hookup

Simple PVC intake Siphon with a fish basket
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d820b3127ccefd16ff4c284400000040O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

PVC into the Sump with Ball Valve and the smaller pump
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d820b3127ccefd17236f897500000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

CPR Protein Skimmer
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d820b3127ccefd16f185288a00000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

This weekend - We will be RE-PLUMBING the system - AGAIN. Adding the CPR overflow back in as well as the bigger pump.

Day 2 (Sunday 5/29/2011) - Saltwater/Reef Tank Build

60lbs Live Sand and 50lbs live rock and 3 plastic plants (First day with rock and 2nd day with sand)
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d823b3127ccefd11de8ca03500000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Day 3 (5/31/2011) - Saltwater/Reef Tank Build
80lbs Live Sand and 100lbs live rock and NO plastic plants. 2 Chromis (Fish) and one Hermit Crab... we found him in the sump while adjusting the flow.. he must have hitched a ride on the live rock.

Its day 3.. and while I see the awesome-ness potential.. and the kids ADORE it.. and it only has 2 fish right now since it needs to cycle for 2 weeks... it is causing us to not go to sleep until 1am almost every night since Saturday....Again.. perfecting the water flow from the in-take and out0take has been a HUGE PITA... along with the equipment and having to modify everything...
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d820b3127ccefd171ff208c600000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Farther out view after we re-arranged the rock.. we probably need another 60lbs of rock for the tank and the sump (filters the water in the tank like the ocean)
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d820b3127ccefd174550897900000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d820b3127ccefd167bd6289c00000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Day 4 (6/01/2011) - Saltwater/Reef Tank Build
80lbs Live Sand and 150lbs live rock + Coralife Lighting (bought for a steal on sale) + 1 powerhead
2 Chromis (Fish) and one Hermit Crab
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d823b3127ccefd11d5e061f400000040O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d823b3127ccefd11fbf4e0c700000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

jmagen
06/08/2011, 05:25 PM
So after talking to an owner at the LFS we realized that the ball valve should be on the intake or the flow back into the tank.. OMG.. this made all the difference..... it was easy as pie to set up the overflow and everything... turned off the power several times and it was super easy... No wonder why no one talks about it... we were making a rookie mistake!

So the bigger pump is back in, along with the CPR overflow.

Eric also found some Coralife Metal Halides on super sale... $400.00 as opposed to 1200.00 so those got set-up...We also noticed that the cheapo stand from Petsmart was starting to bow so we had to get a new stand.. which has a hood and is super cool..... but now with the metal Halides in the hood they get super hot and we have put in two mini fans...

We removed some water and rock.. moved the tank and then put everything back.. though the rock is not really right and we stressed out the poor Chromis beyond belief and they both went belly up.. well one did but we can not find the other.. even with moving the powerheads around to change the flow... I feel so bad for the little guys... :(

Of course Eric now thinks we should sell the Coralife lighting system and go to an LED set-up to save energy and to watch the heat.., I guess the Ballasts for the lights get super hot too...

We also had added more rock so we know have 150lbs of live rock, 80lbs of live sand and 40lbs of crushed coral....

We also added a small cleaning crew of 10 hermit crabs, 5 snails (I think) and 2 Mexican turbo snails... when we first got them I was a little concerned about them having enough to eat so we fed them some organic Nori... of course the tank has started to grow Algea.. we *think* green hair... so they have a bunch to eat.

We have been checking the water and everything looks good... we are going to talk to someone on Friday about the lighting situation and decide if we want to sell the Halides and go LED or what not...

They have the best little bubble rose anemone that they are holding for me.. but we won't put it into the tank until we are absolutely certain we are all set to go with everything... i think that and the clowns will be a great addition... the kids are loving the snails and crabs - which makes waiting for the fish a little easier... here is an updated picture...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d829b3127ccefd05f4fc549c00000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d829b3127ccefd04ae1b741a00000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

We also have 2 power-heads now and will be adding one more...

Its amazing to us that this 75G tank now feels small but we are looking forward to figuring out the lighting and then starting to build the reef and watch it come to life with corals and fish and stuff....

RJT
06/08/2011, 07:22 PM
Wow, in a few days you guys have moved or setup the same tank a bunch of times!! It looks good, really good. Keep up the good work, nor newbies you are doing great.

The anemone may like a home that is at least 3 months old (9 would be better) but thats my .02. You may get her tomorrow and have her happy for years. Just make sure you feed her.

greech
06/08/2011, 07:37 PM
Your tank evolved more in a few days than what most of us take a year to accomplish!

Can you guys please come redo my tank :)

The (as of 7:25pm on 6/8/11 anyway) end result really looks great. You will get a lot of advice here so post away.

You really need to be careful with adding anything at all and especially feeding them. Your snails and crabs are not going to tolerate a cycle very well and may not make it (sorry, just don't want you to be surprised if they don't make it).

Did you get any water test kits? You are going to need them.

justisathomesea
06/08/2011, 07:54 PM
It looks like you are running korila powerheads I would personally trash them(no offense) they just don't seem to put out the flow as well as a tunze or a maxijet with the mod kits. I had one in my tank and it just didn't seem to cut it.

sent from my hand held computer

jmagen
06/08/2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys!!

@ Chris - we do have one Koralia and one Tunze and have another Tunze on order. :)

@ Graham - We do have a test kit and our water looks good... I think our tank is pretty cycled but we know we are running a risk with the snails and crabs... We started to get some Algea and the cleanup crew seems to be working really well... We will be doing another water test this weekend and probably another water change...

@ RJT - Thank you so much! The LSF said that they will hold the anemone.. They have had it for a long while and said they will hold it until we are really good to go.. We don't want to kill it and they don't want to see anything happen to it either.

Here is our big question currently.

We bought the Coralife 2x250watt and are NOT loving the heat from the Metal Halides or Ballasts. We placed some small fans in the hood... but are seriously considering changing out the lighting before the tank gets more inhabitants.

We are looking at different LED's due to reduced heat, reduced energy and longevity.

Our problem is that there seems to be a TON of different options.. and while we don't really want to spend 1k in lighting.. we are thinking we may have to.. is this correct?

What do you guys suggest?

We want to have a nice diverse tank with soft corals, anemone's, maybe a clam or two and fish... we don't have a specific list.. except my rose anemone and clowns and a yellow tang (we have kids and want to do a nemo type reef - but were told that blue tang's are tough)....

Any help would be great! Again, we want to try and have all of this dialed before starting to fill the tank....

jlong11
06/08/2011, 09:41 PM
alot of tangs need at least a six foot long tank they get pretty big, the regal tangs do get pretty big there not to hard to take care of IMO i think for a tang there pretty hardy

jmagen
06/09/2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks guys!

Nothing really new except our quest for the right LED setup.. for cost and to be able to have our choice of corals/inverts and fish...

I will take new pictures of the system... and if any of you have thoughts on LED systems.. brands/costs/etc.. it would be super helpful!!!!

Right now we are leaning toward ecoxotic/Aquailluminations or another company that starts with an "o" that I can't think of right now...

We really want to have everything ready... we will probably start with soft corals / fish and then move towards anemone's and maybe some hard corals.. just depends on how it all goes...

rayn
06/09/2011, 08:46 PM
Wow the progress looks good. You say you bought live rock, was it cured? If so you may have a small or short cycle. Keep up on your testing and it will let you know. Take your time and research what you want before you buy. Some fish just won't make it in a smaller tank and unless you plan a upgrade later on you could have aggression issues. Good luck and keep the updates coming.

jmagen
06/09/2011, 11:38 PM
What do you guys think about Vertex LED systems?

jmagen
06/11/2011, 08:25 AM
So we purchased two AquaRays LEDS and two controllers last night..(our LFS sold us on the 5yr warranty and the options for the cost).. They seem to be great except that we can't get the channels to be shown on the controllers. We want to run the blues on Channel 1 and whites on channel 2 but are having some issues...

I think we are going to take the MH to a Frag swap today.. we also added a couple of hammer tips and a cabbage coral last night...

Our LFS said that we are good to go - so we may had a cleaner shrimp, a couple of peppermint and debating on two clowns...
Any thoughts?

capecoral
06/11/2011, 07:22 PM
I think the peppermints help with aptasia.

RJT
06/11/2011, 07:43 PM
Those shrimp are peaceful so cleaner and peppermints are a good addition.

How much was the led setup?

jmagen
06/13/2011, 11:03 AM
So this weekend was a big weekend for the tank.

We added the 2 AquaRay LED's.... and removed the metal halides but we just didn't feel that the light was what we wanted.... so we slept on it.....

We did add the Cabbage Coral and the Purple Tip Hammers on Friday night - Did some of the Aqua-scaping and hit the hay once we figured out how we wanted to hang the LEDS

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d832b3127ccefd0e8f5c902100

At first we attached them right to the hood -
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d832b3127ccefd0fcc31f0b900000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

We were originally going to hand them with stainless steal cable but after a little more thought we decided on a different approach.

We took a cut piece of Plywood and attached the LEDS to that and then hung the whole unit in a stainless steel chain so that we can adjust the height as needed for the optimal light output, etc...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d832b3127ccefd0f6f4eb00f00000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

We really were not pleased with this lighting setup... we had the shadows in the middle and it just didn't produce the color or light we think the tank needed.

On Saturday we debated back and forth if we should had another 2 Disks or add some blue LED strips... now the AquaRays with Controller are $400.00 so while we originally thought that because we could take them home right then and there and that they have a 5yr warranty, they would be better than Illunimations, or AI or Vertex... we were not really pleased.

By Saturday night we had added another disk ($1200.00 in Aquaray LED disks)... we still were not really happy but wanted to sleep on it before ordering a 4th disk.. we tossed around adding the Blue LED strips for $200.00 each but still were not sure... We did a little more research and by Sunday we had purchased a coralife 48" 2 bulb T5 to supplement... (I will take pictures tonight...)

So 2 weeks after setting up and cycling our tank, it is starting to look like something... We have been testing our water and also had the LFS store it Saturday... which determined that we were good to go to start to stock the tank.

Friday - 6/10/2011
* Added one Cabbage Coral
* Added 3 frags of Purple Tip Hammer Coral

Saturday - 6/11/2011 (Frag Swap)
* Toad Stool (Named the "Penis Plant" since all the tenticles retracted when we moved it from the LFS tank)
* Teal Kenya Tree
* Kenya Tree
* Orange Zoa's
* Green Star Polyps
* Green People Eaters (Green Zoa)
* Xenia
* Green Torch Coral Frag

Inverts
* 4 peppermint shrimp
* 2 cleaner shrimp
* 3 emerald crabs
* 1 brittle star (Black with small disc)

Fish
* 2 clowns
* 1 six line wrasse
* 1 Algae Blenny

Sunday - 6/12/2011

We made a trip to target to try and find shelving to help organize the bottom of the tank stand... we also made a trip to a LFS that is 20mins from us - by our target - to ask some more questions and see what they had....

I ended up buying a pink and green star polyp rock - it is so pretty....

we were pretty annoyed because the guy told us that our protein skimmer is on the small size if we want to add more fish... which seems ridiculous because we have 4 fish in a 75g tank... and we made our intentions clear when we started set-up....

So we left and dropped the coral off and then made a trip to another LFS about 30miles from us.... we wanted to check out their lighting and information, etc...

We ended up buying the T5's from them.. better prices and while we like to keep the money local... this set-up has been insane already.

We also brought home:

1. Medium sized "Orange/white" Torch Coral
2.) Green and pink Fuzzy Mushrooms
3.) Coral Beauty (Dwarf Angel) Which everything we have read and people have told us are "almost reef" safe... about 1 in 10 will nip... so we are taking our chances....

I will have to get some updated images...

but as of Friday night - this is what the tank was looking like:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d832b3127ccefd0f35a831f400000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

Sorry about image quality - just snapped with my iphone
Cabbage Coral and some of the Purple Tip Hammers
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d832b3127ccefd0e00be512c00000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Some of the leather coral that came on the live rock
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d832b3127ccefd0e9c81d06d00000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

The other bunch of Purple Tip Hammers
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d832b3127ccefd0ea67b51ba00000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Some of the blue mushrooms with green zoa's and one of the cleaner shrimp
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d832b3127ccefd0f11bc31f200000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

So our tank now looks like the following:

75g Tank
80lbs of Live Sand
20lbs of crushed coral

25g eshoppes sump
CPR - overflow with air lifter
CPR - Protein Skimmer
Heater
Pump

1 Siccie - Powerhead (I thought this one was a Tunze until I checked the box)
1 Koralia - Powerhead

3 x Aquaray LEDS with Controller
1 Coralife T5 48" 2 bulb

Corals
* Leather Coral (Came on live rock)
* Cabbage Coral
* Teal Kenya Tree
* Purple Tip Hammer Coral
* Toad Stool (Medium/low light and flow)
* Kenya Tree (Low flow to grow/ high-medium to maintain)
* Orange Zoa
* Star Polyp (high light and high flow)
* Green People Eaters (Zoa's)
* Xenia
* Green Torch Coral (Medium light/Medium Flow)
* Torch Coral (Orange/white) - (Medium light/Medium flow)
* Fuzzy Mushrooms (Moderate/low flow - any light)
* Star Polyps - Pink and Green
* Blue Mushrooms with Lime Green Zoas

Inverts
* 3 Mexican Turbo Snails
* 10 Sm. Hermits
* 5 sm. snails
* 4 Peppermint Shrimp
* 2 Cleaner Shrimp
* 3 Emerald Crabs
* Brittle Star
* Conch (Hitched a ride on a coral/rock)

Fish
* 2 Clowns (Nemo and ?)
* 1 Six-Line Wrasse (Sass-a-frasse)
* 1 Algae Blenny
* 1 Dwarf Coral Beauty Angel

PJtree23
06/13/2011, 02:41 PM
Sounds good man. Can we get a pic under the hood and see the final lighting set up?

Also, what size skimmer are you using?

PJ

jmagen
06/13/2011, 03:02 PM
Totally!

Tonight I will take a picture of the lights and all the plumbing and I actually have no idea what size skimmer we are using.. it is a smaller/medium sized one...

Eric just decided to add the Fluval back into the system - This way we can filter through the activated carbon without having to upgrade the skimmer already.... I think we paid 200.00 and really don't want to have to go out and spend another 250-400.00 this tank has already sucked out a few grand in just a couple of weeks between all the equipment and stand changes...

windyridge
06/13/2011, 03:10 PM
Looks awesome. Where did you get the 6 line Wrasse? Live Aquaria is out of stock and my LFS doesn't have any or didn't when I was last there.

jmagen
06/13/2011, 03:16 PM
We got it from our LFS... Looks like she got beat up a bit but a hermit crab.. her tail is a bit damaged so they gave it to us for $5.00 and she is doing great... super sassy and cute and getting along with everyone... of course we had no idea that we couldn't get another Wrasse when we got her... but are still really happy.. she is small... adds color and I hear they will keep the tank free of any icky worms if they should pop up...

I also forgot to mention that we have 150lbs of live rock....

We really want a Yellow Tang - would prefer a blue empire but have heard they are tough to keep.

If anyone has any ideas on easier fish to add that are super colorful and will go with our starter residents - Would love to hear them...

We were going to get a few blue devil damsels this weekend but heard that they are fairly aggressive and we would want to go with Chromis if we wanted a small school or color...

thebkramer
06/13/2011, 03:26 PM
I say this with allllll the love in the world!! :inlove:
PLEASE, Please, please.. SLOW DOWN!!!
I know this is very exciting.. but if you two don't take a couple deep breaths.. you are going to run into trouble!! :sad2: you tank hasn't even been up a full month??
When was the last time you tested your water params? after adding all that you did.. you need to give your tank some time to adjust to the new bioload! I'm surprised you haven't seen any crazy algae blooms.. I would take the next 2 weeks to let your tank adjust.. and do some more research during this time :D make a list of some more fish that you would like.. think about other corals.. but def don't put it all in there within the first month of the tank being up..
I'm not trying to be a downer, or take away from some of the great choices you have made so far.. I just hate to see something go very wrong sooner than you want it to (hopefully never!!)
Have you looked into any of Waterkeepers threads??
Take a deep breath and enjoy what you have for a bit!! :bounce3:

lordofthereef
06/13/2011, 04:13 PM
I say this with allllll the love in the world!! :inlove:
PLEASE, Please, please.. SLOW DOWN!!!
I know this is very exciting.. but if you two don't take a couple deep breaths.. you are going to run into trouble!! :sad2: you tank hasn't even been up a full month??

:thumbsup:

aleonn
06/13/2011, 04:47 PM
Very nice, keep on taking photos!

jmagen
06/13/2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks guys!!!!

and I should have put that in there.... we don't plan to add anything else for at least 2-4 weeks.

This was our first stock and the foundation... we plan on watching the tank/water/etc... doing all the regular routines and feedings, etc....

We went with what we were told and the research looked like for the initial add (we may have gone a little nutty on the corals with the frag swap, etc...)

but yes.. this has been a crazy couple of weeks and a huge $$ suck,..... so we are looking forward to watching the tank.. everything getting used to each other, etc....

Your thoughts on other fish and corals will be added to the wish list.. I have a notepad that has a running list of the system and what we have as well as a wish list.. that we can add too and cross off as we come across new information...

There is just so much out there and a lot of it tends to be subjective... I have heard that some fish work well together and then someone else says the total opposite...

We did another water test last night for everything and we are still good... so we will be taking the deep breaths :)

So.. any recommendations for when we do add again in 2-4 weeks..

we figured that we may add a coral or two if we come across something awesome!!! But I really want to let what we have get established and see if we can get them to grow and flourish...

When we do add another fish or two.. we expect that it will be 1 or 2... then wait another few weeks, etc.... (unless it is a small school 3-5 chromis or something - but that would be it and then another waiting period..)

We are def. trying to do the right thing... and now that there is some activity.. it is much easier.... for us and the kids~

its like the rose bubble anemone that I LOVE... It won't be in our tank for at least 1-2 months so the LFS is keeping it for us.. of course everyone tells me how tough they are... so I am scared... I don't want to purchase something that has been doing fabulous for months and then have it die... our goal is to have a vibrant little reef ecosystem that works...

Thank you all for the feedback and I am sorry I wasn't clear that we would be waiting... :-) We are trying to let the tank really dictate how and where we go..

RJT
06/13/2011, 05:47 PM
Very nice! Glad you are waiting at least 2 weeks before you add any more fish. When you are ready you should look into anthias, three would be ideal. All are colorful, some are more peaceful than others. If you get the right ones you can add different anthias later. By researching you can pick the right anthias for your tank.

RJT
06/13/2011, 05:54 PM
And don't waste your time with damsels or chromis. Damsels can be overly aggressive and chromis will kill each other off until 1 or 2 are left.

ed102475
06/13/2011, 07:07 PM
Very nice set up . lets see under the hood again.

jmagen
06/14/2011, 01:18 PM
Hi all....

So I took pictures last night and I was super excited to see our toadstool opening up and everyone getting along!

Current Tank Set-up Pictures

*CPR Overflow
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd091b963a4800000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Under the tank
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd08b1689b9f00000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Sump with CA2200 pump and the recently added Fluval (which we bought before the sump and have decided to add it back into the system)
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd099ad3fbe500000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd092154bba700000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd0857a39b2700000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Far away lighting (3x Aquaray LED's + 1 T5 2blub)
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd08a82f5a7c00000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd09c06b7a4000000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

CPR Protein Skimmer - No idea how big it is.. couldn't find it on the box
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd098c357a3800000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd0854015a2c00000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Fluval
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd08a3599ba700000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

jmagen
06/14/2011, 01:19 PM
Corals and inside the tank... just snapped with iphone

Star Polyps... anyone know what the iridescent thing is?
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd093a5ffb3900000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd08e454db1100000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd08e7441aa800000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd08414c9bc300000030O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd0954d17ab000000040O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd092a7c7a2200000050O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd08e0035a7400000040O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd0829451ace00000040O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd089a3bdb4100000040O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd08ddb11a4000000040O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

jmagen
06/14/2011, 01:19 PM
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1d835b3127ccefd08ca645a0600000040O09AYtmTVmzag9vPhI/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

RJT
06/14/2011, 07:01 PM
Nice pics. While you wait for your new tank to settle down with its many inhabitants you might want to setup a quarantine tank. So far you have been lucky any everything is healthy but if your next fish brings in a disease you could lose everything in the tank.

mike5051
06/14/2011, 09:23 PM
1+ one the QT. A sick addition could be disaster. I've got a 75 gallon with a yellow tang, and I've got 4 chromis, and two clowns, lawnmower blenny, and a scooter blenny. I feel I'm at the limit for fish in this tank, I do have a 20 gallon sump with a fuge growing pods. When I get a 30 gallon sump, appx 100 gallon total volume, I may have to add a manderin(sp). My gal really wants one!:inlove: