PDA

View Full Version : ID, possible orange monti??

typicalwhiteazn
06/08/2011, 06:12 PM
Looked through all the coral books.. can't find even a scientific name to this.. I'm hoping one of ya'll have an idea... its super bright orange body.... this picture doesn't do it any justice.. and the individual tentacles are orangish-transparent... these frags of 'em are about 1/2 inch..

got it from my LFS, just wish I knew what the exact name is..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/typicalwhiteazn/TaoElectricOrangeMontipora_2.jpg

organism
06/08/2011, 08:56 PM
Looks like an orange Leptoseris to me, chop shopped into oblivion.

typicalwhiteazn
06/08/2011, 09:26 PM
yeah, i wish i got a picture of it before they chopped it.. it was the size of a tennis ball.. but the leptoseris I goggled imaged had lines in somewhat patterns.. the lines on this coral was all over and some chaotic.. plus the short tentacles...

ct_vol
06/08/2011, 09:28 PM
chop shopped into oblivion.

Understatement.

organism
06/08/2011, 09:42 PM
oops, sorry, I meant Pavona, I always get those two mixed up...

organism
06/08/2011, 09:44 PM
yeah, i wish i got a picture of it before they chopped it.. it was the size of a tennis ball.. but the leptoseris I goggled imaged had lines in somewhat patterns.. the lines on this coral was all over and some chaotic.. plus the short tentacles...

About how many frags did they get off of it and what were they charging for them, out of curiosity? I hate chop shoppers...

typicalwhiteazn
06/09/2011, 01:21 PM
as far as structure goes, it encrusts the rock and doesn't extend outward in any ways... pretty flat in structure, kind of like how a chalice grows... so I don't know about Pavona.. the colony covered 3/4 of a tennis ball originally.. cut up to like 20 pieces.. the owner is pretty knowledgeable (been in the industry for 20+ years) and is baffled.. again.. we looked through extensive coral books w/o luck..

typicalwhiteazn
06/19/2011, 01:12 PM
psammocora sp. .... non-branching.. took a few weeks, but got it....