PDA

View Full Version : How easy are bubble corals?

Nordkapp
06/08/2011, 07:35 PM
I really like bubble corals but I had a bad experience with one when I put it in my old 29. It died in about 1 month when everything else including brains, hammers and other LPS were perfectly happy.
Back then I had 2x65 watt PC and I thought they don't need much light.
Should I try again now that I have 6 tubes of T5 in a 90 gal?
Are these corals considered difficult?

fishchef
06/08/2011, 07:43 PM
I had a very large one of which part of it died. There was a flow change. It was in the tank several years. I too have a large Hammer and Frogspawn that were unaffected.

ReeferBill
06/08/2011, 07:52 PM
I have had bad luck with the green bubble corals... The only one that grew for me was a large pink pearl bubble... It could be that it is hard to get a real healthy specimen..I would still love to have a green one..but I am afraid I will kill it.:headwallblue:

kingfisher62
06/08/2011, 08:17 PM
They are fairly easy, I would say give it another try. They actually don't need a lot of light IMO and also very low flow. I had bought two rescue ones for cheap. Both were about a nickle size colony left on a larger dead skeleton and both came back. I lost one early like you did but the second one has done very well. Close to baseball size right now.

Moonstream
06/09/2011, 07:59 AM
I've terrible luck with green bubbles. tried a very healthy one first, second was an atempted rescue from my LFS. both looked good for awhile, then shrank, shriveled and melted off their skeletons.

I'm thinking about giving a white or pearl a try in my LPS tank, but it wont be until my tank is a little older and I'm more confidant in its stability.

kv2wr1
06/09/2011, 08:20 AM
I have a white pearl since it was a quarter sized colony and now it is the size of a baseball. Just make sure you feed them regularly and they will thrive.

TRENT_G
06/09/2011, 08:27 AM
^^^^ what he said. Bought mine the size of a Baseball now it's the size of a Basketball. I feed him along with all my corals every other day. I use a turkey baster.

ColaAddict
06/09/2011, 09:35 AM
I have a green bubble coral in my 30 inch high tank, placed in in the bottom and forgot about it, because I cant reach it. It just get's whatever fish food fall by it and it's thriving and growing. I'm actually thinking of getting rid of it as it's pretty aggressive with other corals close to it. I can't believe how long some of it's tentacles can get to sting and kill other corals. They don't like alot of flow, otherwise I think they're pretty low maintenance.