PDA

View Full Version : First saltwater tank (FOWLR)

Bear44
06/08/2011, 11:56 PM
20G glass (picking up on saturday)
10LB dry rock/10LB live rock rubble
Koralia evolution 750GPH
Eheim Jager 150W
AquaClear 50
Coralife Salt mix
New life Spectrum Ther-A
Refractometer

Tap water
No protein skimmer

will house two ocellaris clown fish

was reading some other threads on this forum and heard some suggest Seachem purigen and boyde chemi-pure. was wondering if i could put these into the aquaclear filter?

crobattt
06/09/2011, 12:09 AM
20G glass (picking up on saturday)
10LB dry rock/10LB live rock rubble
Koralia evolution 750GPH
Eheim Jager 150W
AquaClear 50
Coralife Salt mix
New life Spectrum Ther-A
Refractometer

Tap water
No protein skimmer

will house two ocellaris clown fish

was reading some other threads on this forum and heard some suggest Seachem purigen and boyde chemi-pure. was wondering if i could put these into the aquaclear filter?

NO,save yourself some a LOT of time and just buy RO from a LFS. otherwise looks alright to me, If your going to do aquaclears, i would purchase two of the 20s for each side, instead of just one big one. Also, for water movement I wouldnt use one koralia 750, i would get two smaller ones and try to find the perfect current.

Bear44
06/09/2011, 12:49 AM
NO,save yourself some a LOT of time and just buy RO from a LFS. otherwise looks alright to me, If your going to do aquaclears, i would purchase two of the 20s for each side, instead of just one big one. Also, for water movement I wouldnt use one koralia 750, i would get two smaller ones and try to find the perfect current.

reason why i got the 750 koralia is that it will eventually go into a bigger tank.

probably will do 55g+ in the future.

Sugar Magnolia
06/09/2011, 07:14 AM
Everything looks good except the tap water. Even for a fish olny set up, using tap water will lead to nuisance algae in the tank. Do yourself a favor and use RO/DI or at the very least, use distilled.

Bear44
06/09/2011, 10:21 AM
if i put seachem purigen and boyde chemi-pure into my aquaclear filter will it work?

lacosta28
06/09/2011, 10:38 AM
Also make sure to let the tank cycle before you add any fish or inverts.

MattAndKim
06/09/2011, 10:50 AM
Your money is better spent on GFO or carbon. For the money you will spend on those expensive and unproven products, you could buy a cheap reactor and mount it HOB.

crobattt
06/09/2011, 12:15 PM
if i put seachem purigen and boyde chemi-pure into my aquaclear filter will it work?

Nope, the TDS in the water will give you lots of hassles, just get RO

saltysailor2329
06/09/2011, 03:07 PM
It is to not use tap water at any costs. It just winds up causing too many problems. You should just spend the little bit of cash and by RO water from your LFS. Mine sells RO/DI water for $.50/gallon and premixed saltwater for $1.25/gallon.

Otherwise looks good. Also, don't forget to cycle the tank before you add any livestock.

Good luck

dzfish17
06/09/2011, 05:06 PM
If you think you might upgrade to a 55g soon then why not buy an RO/DI unit. If you add up all the money spent on gas driving back and forth to the store and money spent on water you could just buy your own unit. There are alot of good RO/DI units for under $200. It is a must have piece of equipment IMO.