PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Watchman Goby-what size pvc

joegoersch
06/09/2011, 09:24 AM
I have a 29 gallon tank with 1 to 2 inches sand and a lot of LR (maybe 55 lbs). I just got a yellow watchman goby a few days ago. he swam into the LR and I haven't seen him since. I've read that they like to hide in PVC pipe as a burrow. I'd like to try and make a burrow that he'll like as I'll be able to see him. Would 1/2 inch pvc be good or would they like a less snug burrow, say 1" ? Any thoughts ? Any other pointers caring for a yellow watchman goby ?

I don't want to get a pistol shrimp as I have two cleaner shrimp and some small fish (2 firefish and 2 small ocellaris clowns) that I think the pistol shrimp could kill. I've seen the video of the pistol shrimp killing and eating cleaner shrimp...

Thanks

JHawlz9989
06/09/2011, 11:54 AM
Mine found a nice hole in a piece of my live rock and has spent some time in there. He also has another burrow that he dug out under another piece of rock, so I don't know if PVC is actually required.

thebkramer
06/09/2011, 12:01 PM
he probably already made a burrow somewhere and is hiding out while he adjusts to his new surroundings ;)
are your rocks secure?? I hate to see any thing come falling down!!

joegoersch
06/09/2011, 12:25 PM
Mine found a nice hole in a piece of my live rock and has spent some time in there. He also has another burrow that he dug out under another piece of rock, so I don't know if PVC is actually required.

I haven't seen the goby in 5 days...did you have similar experiences.

charleneatkins
06/09/2011, 12:33 PM
I have a 1 1/4" dia. tube mine usually hides in but he does go around checking out the LR.

JHawlz9989
06/09/2011, 01:44 PM

Yes I did. They can be a little skiddish at times. If I walk past the tank too fast he'll dart into his burrow. He can spend days at a time out and about, or a few days in his burrow. He just kind of does his own thing.

disc1
06/09/2011, 02:04 PM

Mine is known to disappear for weeks at a time. The first month or so that I had the YWG and pistol shrimp, the game was who can spot the yellow fish. You had to sit all the way across the room real still. Nowadays he doesn't fear me at all. He'll come out right up to the glass, but he still runs when strangers come. I still only catch occasional glances at the pistol unless I'm across the room, but he is starting to come out more.

A guy from the club recently found a YWG that he hadn't seen in for like two years while he was tearing down a tank.