PDA

View Full Version : Salt....clumps

1st timer
06/09/2011, 09:29 AM
So I was using a cheapo bucket from Wallyworld to keep my salt in, one of the 3 gallon buckets. My salt was always clumping up. Before I retired that bucket I missed a WC so went 2 months and literally had to bust it with a :hammer:
So couple months ago I go to LOwes $ HD get buckets from each, as all my cheapo bucket cracked on the bottom, (leaking RODI all over floor before realizing was leaking not just spill). The HD bucket/lid has a rubber seal and I thought SWEET! NOPE still clumps a good bit.
Short of measuring out all my 5 gallon portions into ziplocs then putting these in my bucket, what can I do??

disc1
06/09/2011, 09:46 AM
It must be drawing moisture from somewhere. Try to find a drier place to keep it.

Also when it clumps hard like that, sometimes it won't dissolve right after you break it up. Lots of people say to throw out salt that gets hard clumps. I say make your water and check it real good.

VivaBorg
06/09/2011, 09:50 AM
Ask another reefer that uses Reef Crystals or Instant ocean to hook you up with a bucket. They seal pretty well

1st timer
06/09/2011, 12:38 PM
Will try finding nother bucket, just thought a gasket is a gasket you know.
I store my salt bucket in back room closet.
The water I just made Monday dissolved fine, I ran a small pump in each 5 gal bucket overnight.
Boy am I glad I only opened 1 of the packs in my 200 gal box of salt, just for this reason.

redmarble
06/09/2011, 01:16 PM
I'm going to get a coupe of these:

Vacuum-tight, with moisture-resistant seal.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24495&catid=626

lordofthereef
06/09/2011, 01:51 PM
Boy am I glad I only opened 1 of the packs in my 200 gal box of salt, just for this reason.

That's what I do currently. Is there a reason you want to open all of it at once?

dogstar74
06/09/2011, 02:03 PM
I measured out the correct weight to make 1.026 water in a 4 gallon water change then re-packaged all my salt in single use vacuume sealed (seal a meal) bags. Then I don't have to weigh it out each time or test sg or anything. I made about 12 weeks worth of salt changes. It's a pain at first, but once you have the measurement down, then it makes water changes a snap.

Good luck.
Aaron