PDA

View Full Version : Question about trace elements...

Khandurian
06/09/2011, 10:07 AM
This may seem like a realitive dumb question, but I havent really been able to google or search the answer...

In a FOWLR system, If I dose 2 part, do these elements get used by the rock/coraline? or does it just keep saturating the system? or does it evaporate out?

Reefers Digest
06/09/2011, 10:16 AM
Some will be used by the coralline, some will be used my micro-organisms and other flora/fauna, and some will likely settle out in your tank when bound to certain organics. For the most part, as with any form of dosing, you'll have to test to see what your tanks demand on the elements you're dosing is. Yours will likely be very low, and thus you likely won't need to dose much, or that frequently.

dcombs44
06/09/2011, 10:16 AM
Water is all that evaporates.

If you're doing regular water changes you will deplete part of what you dose when you replace water. The rock may absorb some trace elements, but it's not growing or living, so it won't technically "use" them.

I would say that that the coralline algae probably utilizes calcium and some other elements to fuel it's growth, but being an algae, it's photosynthetic, so it's mostly fueled by light.

There's probably no problem with dosing a 2 part, but if there's nothing that really benefits from it, the cost may be more than the benefit in my opinion. But, like I say, it can't hurt to have your parameters in check. Plus, having alkalinity where it needs to be will help avoid pH swings. All you can do is test and adjust as needed.

Dyzio545
06/09/2011, 10:17 AM
Though not very necessary, Adequate Calcium levels will definitely help the coraline growth. Many people I know also say that Iodide also helps. Many people will say never dose for anything you can't test for!!! This is somewhat correct, because if you dose something you can't test for on a daily basis, there can be negative effects. Dosing Iodide once every 2 weeks or so will not have any negative effects because it will be used up within that period.

dcombs44
06/09/2011, 10:21 AM
Randy Holmes Farley on Iodide.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/4/chemistry

disc1
06/09/2011, 10:53 AM
This is a FOWLR? If you keep up on water changes, you shouldn't need to worry about dosing much. Maybe a little cal and alk if it is way low and you are trying to get coralline. Definitely won't need trace elements in a FOWLR.

Khandurian
06/09/2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I would be dosing it to help the coralline grow and populate the rocks.

I had a feeling that it would need some. I do plan to test before dosing to make sure the levels are in the ranges that I read about. Since I wont be ready for corals, nor my tank ready for corals for another 5 months, I was basically wondering if the rocks would absorb the excess.