PDA

View Full Version : Red Slime in Refugium

bcheriyan
06/09/2011, 10:57 AM
Hello all the good reefers out there ,

I am relatively new to the hobby. I have a 125 G Display and 35 G Sump In my sump there are three areas Skimmer , Return in the Middle and Refugium in the . I have a moderatly stocked acqurium with Tangs,Firefly etc .. and some soft corals, LPS, SPS and some inverts.. Display is 150 x 3 MH . Refugium has the regular light.

All my nitrate's and phopates are zero. I have enough rock in the Display as well as in the Refugium (also have a 4 inch sand bed). I have some Chaetomorpha and some Pods in the Refugium . I am having some red slime in my Refugium . My display tank is fine . Also my Chaetomorpha not really growing that much. How much flowshould be there going through the Refugium ? Also is it a good idea to replace the whole fudge with Bio Pellet and a reactor ?

thegrun
06/09/2011, 11:13 AM
Welcome to Reef Central! Red slime is usually a flow issue. I would have at least 500 GPH running through your refugium section. Cheato grows best at the water surface. If it is submerged, I would add more live rock or an egg crate platform to keep the cheato ball high in the water. I've always been a big refugium fan, so for me I would keep the fuge.

disc1
06/09/2011, 11:41 AM
I've also been a fan of letting the cyano grow in the fuge if it wants to. I'm in the camp that thinks it is taking nutrients out of the water and helping to prevent an outbreak in the display.

bcheriyan
06/09/2011, 11:44 AM
That is great .. I will keep the fuge and will need to make an egg crate platform and move the Live rocks in the bottom of the egg crate platform. Will the higher low affect the Tiger PODS in the fuge ? I guess it will move under the egg crate platform which will have lower flow .. That is great..