PDA

View Full Version : Placement of Meteor Shower???

chuckdallas
06/09/2011, 11:14 AM
I bought a small frag of Metoer Shower about 3 months ago. I had HO T5s sitting right on top of the aquarium, since the tank is 24 inches deep and I have a Maxima Clam. It was doing well and growing sitting on the top rock about 8 inches from the top of the water, right under the HO T5s. I pulled out the Algae Turf Scrubber (too much waterfall noise in the living room and den) and replaced it with chaeto in a fuge about 1.5 months ago. About two weeks later, I upgraded the T5s to 2 X 60 watt LED pendants. Because I had trouble keeping the phosphate below 0.2 for about 2-3 weeks, the Meteor Shower died. I was doing water changes and buying GFO left and right, but it wasn't enough before it died (before the LEDs came in the picture).

We recently had a Frag Swap and I bought another frag. Thinking that the LEDs (12 inches above water line) are much stronger than the HO T5s (based on my comparative Luxmeter readings), I placed the MS in the middle to top third but it went white in one little 2 mm spot in 2 days. I did some homework here and thought the Meteor Shower (MS) might be treated more like a chalice than an acropora, so I placed it about 2 inches above the sand. The white spot turned back to the original greenish-blue background in about 2-3 days. Now a month after all of this, I'm starting to see some more white on the edges of the square frag. Should I shield it more from the direct light or should I move it up to get more light?

I don't think it's my params unless it's the phosphate. I just tested the phos at lunch today on the Hanna 736 and it reads 0.04. I know that phos should be below 0.03, but will 0.01 of phos cause a MS to turn white?? It has done okay since it had the first burn and has colored back up, but now I think it needs a little more light.

Any suggestions?

campos
06/09/2011, 11:37 AM
I have mine near my sandbed, slightly shaded. Depending on your lighting. I have MH and it tends to do better slightly shaded, lower light. It's now growing and spreading nicely

chuckdallas
06/10/2011, 06:04 AM
How deep is your tank and how high above the water are your Metal Halides?

campos
06/10/2011, 08:03 AM
tank is 24 inches tall and MH are about 8 inches above water