PDA

View Full Version : Rock/Sump question

wright4941
06/09/2011, 11:50 AM
Ive almost got my new 90 full of water and ready to get the sump going...Im excited :spin2: A friend gave me some rubble rock that had been live, but it has been sitting around in a dry bucket for a few months. It does not smell bad, and is still moist. I was wondering if I could use this rubble rock in my sump the way that it is? I was going to put it in the drain section. Will it be ok or foul up the cycling process?

Another question is could I possibly put chaeto and a light in the drain section along with the rubble rock after the tank gets more established to create somewhat of a quasi refugium?

Habu
06/09/2011, 12:30 PM
Have you started cycling the tank yet? If you just started it may help kick start your cycling process.

wright4941
06/09/2011, 12:44 PM
I'm just about done filling the tank up. once it's filled, and the sumo gets going I plan on starting the cycle with a shrimp. I was kind of thinking that too. That some of the die off would kick start the cycle. I just want to make sure I don't overload the system right?
Thanks for your help.

Habu
06/09/2011, 12:56 PM
I think you will be fine adding it. Hopefully others with more experience will chime in.
Good Luck!

wright4941
06/09/2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks so much! I hope others chime in also :)

gweston
06/10/2011, 01:03 PM
If the rock sat in a bucket without being in water with a heater and power head. It is very likely now dead rock. But it is perfectly fine to use if you are just starting to cycle your tank. The dead nutrients from the rock will help boost ammonia and start up the cycle. Which is a good thing.

Potentially there could be pod eggs or something on the rock that could populate the tank. I'd think.

In any case. When you are starting your cycle, that is the best time to toss in all the dead (formerly live) rock that you want to use. Think nutrients (dead stuff) to fuel the cycle.

dryad001
06/10/2011, 03:36 PM
Thats what I did when I started my tank. Had a bunch of dead/wet rock and my cycle took about 2 weeks. I would go with the consensus and throw it in.

jlong11
06/10/2011, 05:02 PM
+1 on what gweston said it would probably make your cycle stronger