PDA

View Full Version : Clicking sound in my tank

TXSea
06/09/2011, 05:11 PM
Hello all,
I have a 29 gallon biocube stock with 40 lbs of live rock, 40 lbs of live sand, wet/dry filtration system with protein skimmer. I currently have it stocked with 1 emerald crab, 3 hermit crabs, 1 turbo snail, 1 cerith snail, and at least 8 nassareus snails, and 1 peppermint shrimp. Since I have added all my inverts, I have been hearing random clicking sounds coming from my tank and they are inconsistent. They have been heard both during the day and quite a bit at night. I've heard that it could be mantis shrimp or pistol shrimp but none of my inverts have been harmed. I am curious as to if it could be anything else. If it is possible, maybe the shrimp is too small right now to cause harm and it may be hiding during the day? All comments are welcome.

Thanks!:hmm2:

ashlerbam
06/09/2011, 05:31 PM
Hello all,
I have a 29 gallon biocube stock with 40 lbs of live rock, 40 lbs of live sand, wet/dry filtration system with protein skimmer. I currently have it stocked with 1 emerald crab, 3 hermit crabs, 1 turbo snail, 1 cerith snail, and at least 8 nassareus snails, and 1 peppermint shrimp. Since I have added all my inverts, I have been hearing random clicking sounds coming from my tank and they are inconsistent. They have been heard both during the day and quite a bit at night. I've heard that it could be mantis shrimp or pistol shrimp but none of my inverts have been harmed. I am curious as to if it could be anything else. If it is possible, maybe the shrimp is too small right now to cause harm and it may be hiding during the day? All comments are welcome.

Thanks!:hmm2:

Since I started Saltwater a year ago. All I have ever heard is. If your tank is clicking. Its one of 2 things. A Mantis or pistol shrimp. Good hitch hiker either way imo. If you score a peacock mantis that would be store credit or good species tank. If its a pistol. Try and get it a goby friend later on haha.

tozzi
06/09/2011, 05:33 PM
Try lookin in the tank a few times after lights out with a flashlight

streak
06/09/2011, 05:54 PM
Try using a red filter over the light I belive it helps keeps the critters from being startled.

crobattt
06/09/2011, 05:55 PM
mantis BAD omnomnom fish

kb1916
06/09/2011, 06:12 PM
if its a mantis shrimp, you'll want to catch it and get it out. It will kill your crabs, snails and other shrimp. Its even possible it could attack some of your fish. look on you tube for videos of these things knocking stuff out.

bassman57
06/09/2011, 06:21 PM
How long have you been hearing the clicking? I have a 20 with some LR from TBS. We had clicking similar to what you described and after 3 months we still haven't had a death that appeared to be caused by a mantis shrimp. Eventually, we saw a tiny pistol shrimp.

TXSea
06/09/2011, 07:15 PM
How long have you been hearing the clicking? I have a 20 with some LR from TBS. We had clicking similar to what you described and after 3 months we still haven't had a death that appeared to be caused by a mantis shrimp. Eventually, we saw a tiny pistol shrimp.

Well, I've had the tank for about 2 months now and I've only been hearing the clicking for the last 2 weeks.

Lynnmw1208
06/09/2011, 07:17 PM
you are hearing clicking now since it is trying to defend against your CUC. If you start seeing your CUC disappear with piles of empty shells laying about, it's a mantis shrimp. if not, it's probably just a harmless pistol. My hitch hiker pistol gets super upset if a snail gets close to his hole and starts clicking at it.

sneaton
06/09/2011, 07:48 PM
i was freaked out by the same thing.. i think its the plastic edge around the aquarium heating up and cooling down (expanding and contracting making clicks)...both my tanks do it ,but i notice it more soon after the lights go out...when my tank was new it did it alot,but not so much any more:confused:

Jerry W
06/10/2011, 01:22 AM
What you're hearing is most likely a pistol shrimp. I have two of them in my 120, and regularly hear the "clicking". One has constructed a den under a large piece of LR. I have a yellow watchman goby as well, but they don't share this den. The goby will however move between this rock and another where he spends most of his time.

TXSea
06/10/2011, 08:46 AM
What you're hearing is most likely a pistol shrimp. I have two of them in my 120, and regularly hear the "clicking". One has constructed a den under a large piece of LR. I have a yellow watchman goby as well, but they don't share this den. The goby will however move between this rock and another where he spends most of his time.

Yeah, I hope that's the case as I can't see anything moving around at night when the lights are out. Even my bristleworms tend to stay on the LR. I don't see any signs of burrowing around the base of my LR. As I mentioned before, my CUC seem to be okay as they are all alive and well. I may get a goby anyhow as don't they keep the sandbed clean? There is definitely random clicking sounds but I guess I won't worry about unless I start losing members of my tank.

charleneatkins
06/10/2011, 11:45 AM
My mantis, N.Wennerae, came to me via LR. He must have been in my tank for 6 months before I just glance it. Ofcourse I freaked, gonna lose all my fish that nite, blah, blah. Did some research, fell in love with him. I guess its atoss of the coin. Good luck. Charlene

Dactylopterus
06/10/2011, 11:55 AM
If the clicks are continuous it is more likely that you have a mantis, mine came in my LR and it does 3 or 4 clicks at a time, sometimes more. My girlfriend was scared one night. I can hear them from another room.

thebkramer
06/10/2011, 01:16 PM
My girlfriend was scared one night. I can hear them from another room.

:lolspin:
its funny you said this.. my pistol scared the lights out of me one night too while I was trying to fall asleep.. thought someone was trying to break in!!
mind you my tank is on the first floor, my bdrm is on the second!! :lmao:

Edit:
I now know I have 2 pistols :lol2:
one is pink.. and lives in the rocks.. and the other is a tiger.. he lives in the rocks too :) they are both smaller than a pea!!!

ckovach333
06/10/2011, 01:40 PM
I got some lt from rbs and checked it pretty thoroughly and found about 10 mini pistols bit no mantis shrimp. Fingers crossed. No deaths though.

Stomkat
06/10/2011, 06:59 PM
I was reading this thread as I fell asleep last night. Bad idea. Had a dream that I found a great big mantis shrimp in my tank!!!

Benson0219
06/10/2011, 07:09 PM
I was reading this thread as I fell asleep last night. Bad idea. Had a dream that I found a great big mantis shrimp in my tank!!!

Too funny Stomkat...