PDA

View Full Version : Glass top needed?

pmark
06/09/2011, 07:52 PM
Are glass tops need over a tank? Aside from preventing fish from jumping, are tops needed? They help with evaporation, but don't think also decrease the PAR of light going into the tank?

89Foxbody
06/09/2011, 08:01 PM
Necessary, no not at all. They do reduce evaporation but they also contain heat. They do distort/reduce the effectiveness of your lighting but if they are kept clean then it's not really by an appreciable amount. You can also use plastic egg crate to cover your tank, which will keep your fish in but allow your tank to stay cooler and promote better oxygen exchange at the surface.

briankmarsh1980
06/09/2011, 08:14 PM
Glass tops are bad don't use them. Your tanks needs fresh air

duncantse
06/09/2011, 08:49 PM
No, glass tops are not needed but you should get a cover for your tank to prevent fish from jumping. I recommend egg crates.

kurens
06/09/2011, 09:18 PM
what about if lights(leds) are 4 inches above water surface?

pmark
06/09/2011, 09:51 PM
I even think an egg crate would obscure lights, especially LEDs because they are more focused than bulbs.

Stomkat
06/09/2011, 10:33 PM
I am very interested now. I had planned on glass hoods with LEDs. Wouldn't the saltwater "dirty" the lights? Besides the fact that startled fish jump.

What is the recommended cover for a saltwater tank?

thebkramer
06/10/2011, 04:42 AM
I've used glass tops for 5yrs now.. and I hate them!!
They get dirty within a day.. they collect salt, they limit lighting that goes in.. and they don't stop fish from jumping out!!

I just placed an order for 1/4 in netting from bulkreefsuppy :bounce3:

I would suggest using the netting or eggcrate :D

Mr.Tan
06/10/2011, 07:47 AM
I purchased a glass top for my tank and to be honest, i wish i didn't. It became very dirty within just one day of use, I would have to take it off and clean it because it was distorting the amount of light that was able to penetrate the tank. It also made things louder, it causing excess vibration from the powerheads which in turn meant more noise (i hear like a dog, all the small vibrations and high pitched noises drive me nuts haha). And to be honst, I didn't even notice much help with cutting back on evaporation, i mean it might have a bit but the water was just building up on the undersides of the glass again resulting in me having to clean it off.... IN the end, i removed it. Less maintanence and the light penetration is SO much better then it was. Plus i dont' have to take it off when i do water changes or other things in the tank.

Im considering doing the eggcrates, but I don't really have any fish that jump so I feel as though it might just be another thing that eventually comes off.

kb1916
06/10/2011, 10:23 AM
I think you'll find most people do not use glass tops these days. Using eggcrate will reduce the amount of light. Some peopple have suggested using the reflective type eggcrate to help with that. I tried the eggcrate but didn't like it since it had to be removed every time you wanted to work in the tank or even feed. I ended up making a hood with two doors in the front and completely open in the back for better air flow. I covered the open back with netting

gweston
06/10/2011, 10:44 AM
I used a glass top for about 4 days. Then switched to eggcrate. The glass top may work fine for freshwater. Definitely not salt. My new tank uses the screen/mesh 1/4" type. I think that is the only way to go... a lot of light passthrough, lightweight, cheap to build, and it keeps the fish in.

Stomkat
06/10/2011, 11:47 AM
Would the plastic/cloth type screening for doors/windows be fine? This is going to be a heck of a lot cheaper than the glass!

I'm so glad this subject came up before I bought the glass. That was my next purchase

kb1916
06/10/2011, 01:05 PM
Yes I think that would be fine. Just avoid anything with metal as the salt spray will corrode it.

davocean
06/10/2011, 01:12 PM
The best top IMO is the bird netting from BRS and a vinyl window screen kit, and I prefer 1/4" mesh.

TeePee
06/10/2011, 01:58 PM
+1 for the netting from Bulk Reef Supply. They have a how-to video on their website for how to make a neat cover for your reef using it and screen frames you can get at Home Depot/Lowes/etc. Very inexpensive and IMHO much better than glass or egg crate.

pmark
06/11/2011, 01:54 AM
So its essentially a screen for your tank? Good thing most fish can't punch through it like a dog would. Haha.

C0rp
06/11/2011, 04:22 AM
I have the BRS net screens. The other day my Midas jumped and hit the screen...I noticed he had two small parallel marks on his side afterwards. Wasnt bleeding or anything and they were gone the next day, but he was definitely marked from the net. Made me wonder if it can ever scrape a fish more seriously though.

Edit: Salt creep may have left the marks I suppose is a possibility..

briankmarsh1980
06/11/2011, 07:19 AM
I also use the clear netting from bulk reef supply

jimnrose
06/11/2011, 07:21 AM
I went with the glass top but couldn't keep it clean. Switched to the bird netting (1/2") from HomeDepot. The evaporation rate doubled but the gas exchange should be better for the tank. Jim

pmark
06/11/2011, 09:17 AM
Anyone using the screen on a rimless tank? Can you share your thoughts on it?

davocean
06/11/2011, 11:51 AM
Anyone using the screen on a rimless tank? Can you share your thoughts on it?

Yes, I did this on 2 rimless tanks.
I made the screen frame sit inside the perimeter of tank rather than on top, and used clear clips to keep in place, the same clips used to hold the glass tops.
This way you still maintain that rimless look.

jimnrose
06/11/2011, 07:39 PM
I'm using the 1/2" netting and the salt is condensing on the netting. My guess is that the 1/4" mesh might further condense the salt which would reduce the risk of corrosion. IMC, I'm using LED's that are only8"bove the waterline and I'mworried thatthey may not be far enought away from the salt moisture. Jim

Polahbear
06/11/2011, 07:44 PM
I had originally planned for a glass top but saw how dirty they can get. I tried open top and it was nice, but I got some jump-tastic breeds and had to get something to keep them in the tank. I got screen kits from home improvement store, (not metal) and this made a great keep the fish in top, it stayed clean, But it did diffuse light and lets face it, light is important and expensive. So i swapped out the screen for bird netting, this stuff is super thin and can be doubled up to make openings even smaller, and the light diffusion is not even noticeable. As far as cuts on a fish, it is safer than no top.

msaleem
06/11/2011, 08:58 PM
+1 for the netting from Bulk Reef Supply. They have a how-to video on their website for how to make a neat cover for your reef using it and screen frames you can get at Home Depot/Lowes/etc. Very inexpensive and IMHO much better than glass or egg crate.

this seems like a good idea. i might just do that in my new tank..

pmark
06/11/2011, 11:13 PM
Where did you get just the clear clips?

Yes, I did this on 2 rimless tanks.
I made the screen frame sit inside the perimeter of tank rather than on top, and used clear clips to keep in place, the same clips used to hold the glass tops.
This way you still maintain that rimless look.

D. Murphy
06/12/2011, 10:54 AM
I was just thinking about this today. I have a glass top, but cannot keep it clean. It get's dirty within 24 hrs after I clean it. I think I'm going to try to make a screen top using the bird mesh.

Dan