PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a watchman goby

Sandwiched
06/09/2011, 08:08 PM
Hi guys just bought a watchman goby for my 10gal, But where did he go? I don't have a top on my tank, I didn't think it was necessary but I heard they jump :hmm1:

Brewchief
06/09/2011, 09:45 PM
I doubt that he jumped. My experience with them is that they are very shy when first introduced to the tank. It's probably either in a hole in the rock or a burrow that it created under a rock. Give it a couple of days and keep an eye out for it when you feed the fish, that brings them out of hiding,

Sandwiched
06/10/2011, 09:53 AM
okay

thebkramer
06/10/2011, 09:57 AM
Did you check everywhere?? floor, under couch? etc.. in sump?
they are notorious for jumping.. not saying he did :) he could just be hiding until he gets use to his new digs!!
I would suggest getting a lid though asap.. I hate to see you lose him to carpet surfing :sad2:
you can use netting or eggcrate for a diy project :bounce3:

jlong11
06/10/2011, 11:19 AM
+1 on getting a lid with gobies i had one and couldnt find him for a few days then weeks later he was behind my tank dried up sad he was prob my favortie fish but i had my temp go pretty high when we got a 91 degree day and i know thats why he did it so a cover would be a for sure thing but when i first got him i didnt see him for over a week so i would say he is prob hiding

charleneatkins
06/10/2011, 11:23 AM
lost a diamond goby to an uncover 10g. now covered with eggcrate. My YWG hid a few days in the rock work for a couple days, too. Wish you luck, Charlene

speer
06/10/2011, 02:03 PM
My watchman hid for a few days before he came out. Once they get comfortable around you they have great personalities.

fish77
06/10/2011, 03:13 PM
Like the others said put a lid on your tank! when I got my watchman goby it hid for a 1 week and half before it came out.

nemokeeper
06/10/2011, 04:53 PM
probably hiding somewhere.... give it some time and it should come out.

Sandwiched
06/10/2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I moved my rocks around and couldn't find him sadly, But I'll def hop on getting an egg crate soon!

SushiGirl
06/10/2011, 05:49 PM
They can jump through the holes in eggcrate, you might want to go with the clear mesh screen that most people use.
Not sure what kind of watchman you had, but a Diamond Watchman gets way too big for a 10 gallon tank.

Sk8r
06/10/2011, 07:21 PM
They burrow. I've had mine drop out of sight for months, then pop up again. I have a mated pair, and I see the male about once a month, the female nearly nightly.
They're among my favorites, but they're very cautious and will not come out in the presence of a fish that scares them.

Sandwiched
06/16/2011, 05:56 PM
They can jump through the holes in eggcrate, you might want to go with the clear mesh screen that most people use.
Not sure what kind of watchman you had, but a Diamond Watchman gets way too big for a 10 gallon tank.

He's a yellow.

Sandwiched
06/16/2011, 05:59 PM
They burrow. I've had mine drop out of sight for months, then pop up again. I have a mated pair, and I see the male about once a month, the female nearly nightly.
They're among my favorites, but they're very cautious and will not come out in the presence of a fish that scares them.

I did get an actual lid, didn't know they burrowed, I hope he hasn't jumped and my dog got him. Lil bastard it's actually the gf's dog, I don't have any fish yet besides 1 red legged hermit and 3 turbo snails.