PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this in a 90?

NateDawg
06/09/2011, 11:31 PM
Hello guys, i have decided to start a reef after numerous years of freshwater, and breeding. I found a really nice saltwater setup, 90 gallons, but I want to make sure I can add this much, since I have no idea what over/under stocked is in a marine aquarium, only freshwater! Keep in mind I will only have this for three years.

2 Ocellaris clowns.
2 Banggia Cardinals
6-7 blue green chromis
Tomini Tang
Juvi Yellow Tang
*Both tangs introduced at the same time
2 royal grammas
Orange stripe prawn gobby
And a heavy clean up crew (hermits, shrimp, serpent star, and snails.)

What do you think?

Toddrtrex
06/09/2011, 11:36 PM
I personally would stick to just one of those tangs.

Would skip the chromis, IME (( and others )) they tend to kill each other off and you will end up with one.

Unless you find a mated pair, would stick with one royal gramma.

NateDawg
06/09/2011, 11:40 PM
I have heared that the two tangs eat different kinds of algae, which one is better to have?
I really liked the chromis because they are bright, and school, are there any other fish that would not kill each other, and school, which would fit in a 90 gallon?
Thank you

thegrun
06/10/2011, 08:05 AM
I personally would stick to just one of those tangs.

Would skip the chromis, IME (( and others )) they tend to kill each other off and you will end up with one.

Unless you find a mated pair, would stick with one royal gramma.

+1 on all advice. I've seen several tanks with multiple chromis, but I've never been able to keep more than one. After awhile, I feel sorry for the poor solitary chromis and try getting him some tank mates, but they seem to kill each other off while in quarantine, and whomever makes it to the DT either kills the first chromis or gets picked off within a week or two.
PS: Chromis do not truely school, but they do tend to shoal in a pack.

Higgy2010
06/10/2011, 08:30 AM
Anthias shoal as well. I have 3 Ignitus Anthias in my 90G and am about to introduce a Dispair. I used to have 7 blue/green chromis, but now the surviving three seem OK.

Sport507
06/10/2011, 08:53 AM
{edit: request of poster] I had an orange fin Bristle Tooth Tomini and a Yellow Tang in my 90gal. They did fine and will sort out their turf. They were medium size and I introduced them a different times.

gweston
06/10/2011, 10:02 AM
I think you are the right track. I kinda like this combination, but that is my personal preference.

2 Ocellaris clowns (the staple reef fish)
1 Royal Gramma (a flash of color)
1 Orange stripe prawn goby (awesome looking goby)
3x Carberryi Anthias (1xM, 2xF) (relatively small anthias, max 3")

For the tangs. I'd use some care. Selection is limited in a 90. Especially with two. But I think you may be ok with a Bristletooth Tomini or a Yellow Eye Kole (probably don't want both as they are both Ctenochaetus), plus the yellow tang. Yellows can get a bit big as adults... but they aren't that much bigger than the Tomini as an adult.

As for introduction.. I'd probably do the tangs last so everything else has established territory. Pretty much everything in the order as listed.

jimmy frag
06/10/2011, 10:10 AM
zebra goby,s are cool in groups.

Michael
06/10/2011, 12:13 PM
I'm with todds views on this, and to add, in anycase thats too many fish for a 90 IMHO, and 2 royal grammas, lol, that would be interesting, haha, I can imagine the action in a 90 with 2 of them, seriously, I'd forget that and the chromis, it just won't work in there.

NateDawg
06/10/2011, 09:37 PM
Found a better deal for a 115. I love anthias's colors, how many and what kind should I put in a 115. Any other fish? Thanks!

walkerbrody
06/10/2011, 10:46 PM
I like anthias but they can be a pain. They need to be fed several times per day.

ScottCRRT
06/10/2011, 11:16 PM
I would go with 2 lyretail anthias. Eventually one of them would turn male. They have amazing colors (better than the square antias). Definitely couldn't do the 2 royal grammas. But, even though everyone else has been against them... I currently have 6 blue chromis in my 90 gal, and they have been around for quite a while now. Best of luck to you.

NateDawg
06/10/2011, 11:54 PM
With a larger tank, could I have the 2 tangs, or is it best not too. I have ruled out the anthers only because I cannot feed them several times a day. I was also wondering if it's only the blue green chromis that will kill each other, or is it all the chromis types?