PDA

View Full Version : Should I Upgrade Lighting?

FSUseminoleEM1
06/10/2011, 12:06 PM
I currently have a 36"x12"x16" tank, ~30 gallons. I am running a SolarmaxHE T5 2x21W lighting system. That is one actinic & one full spectrum bulb.

My question is: Am I getting the proper intensity for corals in a 16" deep tank? I currently have a galaxea colony, green star polyp colony, cactus, and a small brain frag. The reason I ask is that after having the galaxea for a month now, I'm noticing some of the tentacles starting to "curl" towards the tips.

All of my parameters are excellent and I use Reef Crystals for salt/Ca/Mg. I spot feed a few times a week with brine/mysis.

P.S. Can someone properly ID my brain pretty please?

Thanks!

ashlerbam
06/10/2011, 12:37 PM
Well your corals are going to be the judge of how much light they need. But adding more light can make it go from surviving to thriving. I think you could add a 4 bulb fixture and call it good. It would allow for more light and more color combinations.

Also I think from the picture your brain is a favia.

FSUseminoleEM1
06/10/2011, 12:42 PM
I just want to be careful about inducing bleaching from over-photo stimulation.

& you say it's a favia, that's good because I had identified it as a "reverse prism favia" via Google.

lacosta28
06/10/2011, 01:10 PM
I have 4 HO T5 bulbs on my 36 gallon and my corals are doing great. I doubt you would cause them to bleach by adding two more t5's.

ashlerbam
06/10/2011, 01:15 PM
If you get a 4 bulb fixture. You can start your photo period shorter and let them adjust to the light slowly. I have a aquaticlife 4 bulb t5 on my 46g bowfront and could not be happier. I also changed up the bulbs to ATI/KZ combo and they put off some light! 1 Aquablue special, 2 aquablue + and one KZ fiji purple. Puts off a good 14k color not to blue not to white.