PDA

View Full Version : Help with DKH and PH

anpetey
06/10/2011, 02:22 PM
Hello,

So I was just testing my biocube water chemisty and it's been awhile since I checked it last (I know, I know, BAD NEWBIE!) (I should also mention that tank has been established for about 15 months)

Any way here is what I've got, everything checked out ok accept for the Ph and alkalinity, which were a bit low, I only have a fire shrimp, sixline wrasse, RBTA, and a small frag of monti in there right now but I'm hoping to move out the RBTA and finally add coral this month so I'm a little worried my PH and Alk are too low, so what is the best way to fix it without dumping a million unknown chemicals in. I do have a jar of Seachem Reef Builder, that I got with my other system. My only concern if the age of the chemicals, I have a feeling its a few years old, there is no abnormal clumping or anything weird with the powder so would it be a good idea to use that to raise my Alk? Would it also raise my Ph as well or do I need something else for that?

Salinity = 1.023 (Doing a WC today so hopefully it will bring this up a bit)
*PH = 7.8-8.0 (looks to be closer to 7.8 though)
Nitrate = about 0
Nitrite = 0
Ammonia = 0
Phos = 0
*Alk = 5-6 dKH
Calcium = 500 mg/L

disc1
06/10/2011, 02:27 PM
That pH is low, but not terrible. SInce alk is low too, i would use the reef buffer. When you get the alk up, the pH will probably come up a little. You only really need a little pH. Follow the directions and try not to raise it by more that 1dKH in a day. Take a few days to get it up to where you want it.

If you want to avoid the buffer, and get a better pH boost, use baked baking soda. Use this calculator for how much. http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html
Just bake regular baking soda in the oven at 350 to 400 degrees for about an hour or so. There's no problem with overcooking it. Dissolve it in water first and add it slow. Watch the pH.

nemokeeper
06/10/2011, 04:54 PM
You can either use a product like super buffer or buy two part and dose just the alkalinity to raise it up a bit...

RcToners
06/10/2011, 05:31 PM
When is the last time you did a water change? Most salt mixes have trace elements to help replenish.

mal1099
06/10/2011, 05:58 PM
If you want to raise your alk. Try reef fusion 2 part. I have been using it for over 5 months and im very happy with it. The calcium part has alot of trace elements added to it to replenish between water changes. I haven't had to dose mag since i started with reef fusion.

Benson0219
06/10/2011, 06:29 PM
+1 on the water change... how often do you do those?