PDA

View Full Version : Left the hobby for a while but getting back into it now

chris31
06/10/2011, 09:30 PM
Hey everyone a few years ago I got out of this hobby but I've realized how much I missed it so I decided to start up my biocube again. I just had a few questions. 1. What kind of setups are a lot of you using as far as what you have in each chamber? 2. What's a good skimmer that will one work well for this tank and two will fit nicely in the tank?( I had bout the one that is made for this tank a while back and it was garbage). 3. What return pumps are you guys using in these because again I remember the stock pumps are the greatest pumps to use either. My set up as far as lighting has a 70watt hqi with 2 PC atinics. As far as corals what will do well with this lighting. This is the larger biocube which I believe is a 28g? If I remember correctly. If you guys could help me out that would be great thanks everyone :).

cody6766
06/10/2011, 10:39 PM
I don't run anything in my chambers aside from a heater in 3. I had some chaeto in 2, but I'm not sure if it's in there now or not. It hasn't been directly lit for a month or more now, but I never removed it. I just never saw a benefit from it. If anything, it only caught the crap floating in the tank I wanted out. I will eventually build a little filter sock to catch detritus as it goes into number two, but I"ve been lazy.
Your lighting should be able to keep many SPS and most any LPS and softie out there. Your reflector will have a lot to do with how effectively the light from that 70w bulb is used.

chris31
06/11/2011, 05:51 AM
Ok great thanks for the info that filter sock idea is a pretty good idea thanks. :)

chris31
06/11/2011, 12:11 PM
Hey I just wanted to bump this back up to see if I could get some more help

macktab
06/12/2011, 08:25 AM
I have bc8 and there is hardly any room for anything in the small chambers, including access for my hand. My heater takes up most of first (inlet) chamber, I have an intank brand acrylic media basket in middle chamber with filter floss top shelf/cheato middle shelf+led light shining through the back glass./boyds chemi pure elite bottom shelf. Last chamber has stock pump (I should upgrade for more flow through the media bag). I have no room for any skimmer - if i did I would consider the Tunze doc 9002 or the Hydor Koralia Slim-Skim Internal.