PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate during cycle--help please

nehsmit
06/10/2011, 09:38 PM
Hi All,

I am a newbie to this hobby. Had a freshwater tank for years and just bought a 25 gallon cardiff tank with built in skimmer and pump. Added 30lbs of live rock and 20 lbs of live sand from my LFS. He said it rock was cured but since new tank, added it all to water and have been cycling since 6/2. Temp has been 82-84 degrees just because of the heat here in NJ. Heater is completely off and my ambient temperature is around 80-82 degrees. Tested water using the API kit on the 7th and again today, the 10th. Here are the levels. What do they mean? Did I cycle in a week? Thanks for your help.

Date pH Ammonia Nitrite Nitrate
6/7 8.2 0.25 0 15
6/10 8.2 0 0 5-10

Also, should I add a raw shrimp?

I have been looking so intently for hitch hikers but still havent found anything.

evsalty
06/10/2011, 09:44 PM
Using cured or established liver rock and live sand will significantly reduce the cycling time. It is likely that you had a little die off from transport or air exposure (some sponges do not like air) and the rock and sand did their job.

I would say take a sample of your water to the LFS and have them verify your nitrAte level. If things are the same as your testing then your nitrification cycle is done or finishing up. Next you should start your algae cycle.

At this point there is no need for the raw shrimp.

duncantse
06/10/2011, 09:53 PM
Your LR had some organisms that died so that caused the ammonia spike which started the nitrogen cycle. Once nitrites reach 0, you can do a large water change to lower your nitrates and then start to slowly stock on CUC/fish.

nehsmit
06/10/2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I was under the impression the cycle would take 30-45 days. Why do you think this was so quick, 7-10 days?

duncantse
06/10/2011, 10:07 PM
Probably because of your cured LR.

hollister
06/10/2011, 10:09 PM
2 to 4 weeks for cycle. If u have 10 days and readings are good u could add a little stock. But not to much stock as u want the tank to adjust.

nehsmit
06/10/2011, 10:17 PM
What would you recommend for only a 10 day old tank in terms of CUC? I dont have much algae yet and so dont want to hurt the CUC by not having enough there for them to live off of.

Thanks.

Aquarist007
06/10/2011, 10:55 PM
What would you recommend for only a 10 day old tank in terms of CUC? I dont have much algae yet and so dont want to hurt the CUC by not having enough there for them to live off of.

Thanks.

I would start adding one fish at a time for the next few weeks then add the cleanup crew--give them something to clean up