PDA

View Full Version : Seeding Base Rock

Tkeller00
06/11/2011, 01:32 PM
Ok, first this is not my first reeftank, but i've been out of the hobby for about 15 years! Wow have things changed. Anyway, I recently decided to set-up a new reef in my office, I got everything set-up, then started shopping for sand and liverock, I had no problem with the sand, but when it came to liverock I made the HUGE mistake of buying 35# from liverockranch.com, when the rock came it had nice shapes and was pretty clean, but you could tell it was not in the water long enough to really get any growth, and certainly looked nothing like the website (ok i know i should have asked around before I bought the rock, I screwed up) Anyway, I went thru the 35# and kept what I liked, and set it up in my tank, with the thought that I could just buy 15 or 20# of premium rock locally or thru a reputable website to seed the base rock I now own :headwally: I know this is a long story so i'll cut to the chase. I emailed my LFS, which I never knew existed until I took a short cut home the other day, just got 500# of rock, I mentioned that I wanted just a small amount to seed some baserock, and this is the reply I got "You can seed base rock to grow many different organism's but it will not support your bio-load" what does he mean by this? I was under the understanding that the bacteria present in the liverock is what helps support the bio-load, and that base rock, while not great to look at, at least had this bacteria in it or on it, and if not it could be seeded with liverock and eventually become as good as wild harvested rock. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

thanks!

1fishkeeper
06/11/2011, 01:51 PM
I would have to say that your not wrong. That is the LFS just trying to make a sale by making you think that you have to get all new rock. As for seeding the rock that you have. In tank I had all dry rock. I seeded it with just a small couple pound rock when I set it up. Now after awhile you cant even tell that it was dry at all.

Tkeller00
06/11/2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks for verifying that, I figured that was the case as well. he quoted me 12.99 a pound for the rock, the thing is he is it, unless I drive an hour to the next nearest place, which when I called they told me it was 6.99 for cured Fiji rock, and she told me that I could save money by buying some high quality rock, and mixing it with dry rock to seed my tank, which validated what you just said! I never planned on going out and buying a ton of corals right off the bat, I certainly planned on doing it over time, heck part of the fun is getting new stuff, if I buy it all at once then that part of the fun is over..

thanks for the help!

jlong11
06/11/2011, 04:43 PM
just a personal opinion i would avoid the local guy i have delt with too many of the lfs that have the i know it all attitude and want to rip u off at all cost it would be way worth to go an hour to get the 6.99 fiji that is actually normally about $1 or $2 higher on average fiji is pretty good rock and the fact that they were honest and trying to help you out says alot also besides they may have a great shop u could buy livestock from just my opinion tho

Tkeller00
06/11/2011, 04:53 PM
Yeah I think your right, I plan on swinging by the store here in the next day or two.

Aquarist007
06/11/2011, 06:31 PM
If it is completely dry reef rock(like the stuff from Key Largo) then it will start to house bacteria within a week or so. However the other life that you like to see on rock can take up to 3 months to occur.
The problem occurs and this can happen with totally live rock, when the hobbyist rushes the stocking of the tank. Bacteria keeps its numbers in equilibrium with the bioload. Increase the bioload and the numbers increase to match it. This is a process that really can't be speeded up so if one throws a whole lot of fish in at one time then the bacteria can't handle it whether it is live rock or base rock.
That said live rock has a greater number of bacteria to start with then base rock so it will naturally be able to handle an increase in bioload a little quicker then base rock where the numbers are zero to start.

Tkeller00
06/11/2011, 06:48 PM
I certainly plan on taking my time with it, I kept reefs many years ago, so I know that patience makes them far more successful then rushing out and trying to cheat the system so to speak by dumping temporary chemical fixes into the water. Actually the "base rock" I have was sold as aquacultured live rock, and it did have some minor touches of life on it, but it really looks like it wasnt left on the reef long enough, enough time to just start to see some things trying to take hold, but not long enough for what most people would consider a medium quality live rock. I really wanted the high quality rock to help with the diversity of critters in my tank, honestly one of the cool things about this part of the set-up is seeing what will emerge out of the rock over the next few months, and I'm in no hurry to add anything until I can be sure it will survive, the older I get the more patient I get!

tmz
06/11/2011, 07:42 PM
Some of the critters that hitch hike in with live rock can be less than desirable. Mantis shrimp ,aiptasia and majono anemones come to mind.
I think 12.99 per lb is relatively expensive and wouldn't necessarily equate price with quaility . Sometimes, you can find live rock on local club forums from reeefers taking down tanks for a few dollars per lb.

Dry or wet base rock will colonize with adequate bacteria for nitrification and denitrification, in time, if you provide some food for organic carbon, phosphorous and nitrogen . Seeding a few pieces of live rock can help you get the other life and coraline .

Dry rock as some live rock may hold some phosphate and organic matter, so curing in either case is prudent,imo.

Aquarist007
06/11/2011, 10:13 PM
Some of the critters that hitch hike in with live rock can be less than desirable. Mantis shrimp ,aiptasia and majono anemones come to mind.
I think 12.99 per lb is relatively expensive and wouldn't necessarily equate price with quaility . Sometimes, you can find live rock on local club forums from reeefers taking down tanks for a few dollars per lb.

Dry or wet base rock will colonize with adequate bacteria for nitrification and denitrification, in time, if you provide some food for organic carbon, phosphorous and nitrogen . Seeding a few pieces of live rock can help you get the other life and coraline .

Dry rock as some live rock may hold some phosphate and organic matter, so curing in either case is prudent,imo.

Believe it or not majona anemonies are making a come back in our area Tom.
I have quite a few clients requesting them as they quickly blanket the rock, look nice and save the client money in buying corals or work great in fish only tanks

tmz
06/12/2011, 12:23 AM
I believe it for a fish only but they can irritate corals.:wavehand:

Aquarist007
06/12/2011, 12:26 PM
I believe it for a fish only but they can irritate corals.:wavehand:

You are correct sir--and nice to hear from you too:wavehand:

Actually fish only tanks will really green over if you a mixture of majono and green star polyps

Reefing Newbie
07/17/2011, 04:17 PM
My only lfs doesn't carry very much live rock but it is at the same 6.99 for cured fiji live rock. My lfs owner is knowledgeable and doesn't say that you need anything, so she doesn't pressure you to buy stuff for money. Neither does the store I am going to be buying my saltwater livestock from. He is very reliable, and worth the half hour drive. So I am in a similar situation as OP, except for the bad lfs.