PDA

View Full Version : Coming back into the hobby

chris31
06/11/2011, 03:20 PM
Hey everyone a few years ago I got out of this hobby but I've realized how much I missed it so I decided to start up my biocube again. I just had a few questions. 1. What kind of setups are a lot of you using as far as what you have in each chamber? 2. What's a good skimmer that will one work well for this tank and two will fit nicely in the tank?( I had bout the one that is made for this tank a while back and it was garbage). 3. What return pumps are you guys using in these because again I remember the stock pumps are the greatest pumps to use either. My set up as far as lighting has a 70watt hqi with 2 PC atinics. As far as corals what will do well with this lighting. This is the larger biocube which I believe is a 28g? If I remember correctly. If you guys could help me out that would be great thanks everyone :)..... I posted this in nano forum but didn't get many replies wondering if I could get some help here

jlong11
06/11/2011, 04:37 PM
is your nana the built in filtration or are u using the sump there are a few skimmers that could work as far as HOBs go but if u have a sump or are getting one thats a whole different story i would really just say to have some well seeded live rock and good flow with the lighting u have some softies or lps would probly do ok with sps u would prob need a 150 watt (if u havent changed the bulbs since u got them i would recomend that as well) as far as a return pump i would say a mag 3 would work fine if u have a sump if not i would have to see what your running to let u know (i know some biocubes have all the filter built in but i have seen some that dont so until i know ill just ill just try generally both ways) running carbon and probly gfo or just live rock would be fine let me know what u system your running with and i will be able to better suit your needs thanks
jamie

jlong11
06/11/2011, 04:37 PM
nano*

chris31
06/11/2011, 06:18 PM
I'm running a biocube that has the 3 built in chambers as far as lighting I kinda need to stick with the 70watt because the is the type ballest in my fixture. But I also have 2 36 watt atinics that will be running with the hqi. Today I was shown a hydro slim skimmer it looked really nice and seemed to be doing a good job the pet store owner said it would fit in the 2 Nd chamber but does anyone know for sure? But anyways I was planning on some like rock pieces some where in the chambers. And if I can I was consider either carbon bags or one of the polycarbon filter pads to help catch some debrie

Aquarist007
06/11/2011, 06:22 PM
If it is the coralife biocube then it is 29 gal.
Jamie is right on if you have a sump.
If you don't have a sump then I would limit your fish to 4 or 5 and just run it stock. You can run the rena carbon and phosban pacs in the back.
Replace the bioballs if you haven't already with reef rock or rubble.
I also tend to run about 35 lbs of reef rock in the cubes and with weekly water changes have no problems with them

chris31
06/11/2011, 10:00 PM
Yea the bioballs are long gone I know they are bad news and it is a oceanic biocube. So with the chambers would it be best for water coming from the tank into the chamber to hit the rock rubble first or the skimmer first?

Aquarist007
06/11/2011, 10:09 PM
Yea the bioballs are long gone I know they are bad news and it is a oceanic biocube. So with the chambers would it be best for water coming from the tank into the chamber to hit the rock rubble first or the skimmer first?

oceanic is coralife

always skim first and then let the water go over the reef rubble or refugium. This way copopods in the refugium are not skimmed out and return to the tank as food

chris31
06/12/2011, 04:57 AM
Oh sorry I was not aware theses company's were the same thing.... Has anyone heard anything about the hydro slim skimmer? Good/bad?

Aquarist007
06/12/2011, 12:30 PM
Oh sorry I was not aware theses company's were the same thing.... Has anyone heard anything about the hydro slim skimmer? Good/bad?

I didn't know either until I went to order spare ballasts, fans and lights for it.
The stock lights are coralife and the support site is coralife.

I'll ask my supplier tomorrow about that skimmer