PDA

View Full Version : Moving my 180, How Do You Do it Without killing everything.

alanbates12
06/12/2011, 08:25 AM
Got to move my 180. I've got fish and invents. How do I do this without everything dying.

thebkramer
06/12/2011, 08:34 AM
How far is the move??

sporto0
06/12/2011, 08:56 AM
use rubbermaid tubs with heaters & powerheads while you move the tank to where you want it. If your moving across town, state or country, i always used a large igloo or coleman cooler to transport my livestock, they keep the temperature pretty stable during the transit.

alanbates12
06/12/2011, 05:45 PM
The move is less than 20 miles. I have to set the tank back up then its got to cycle, right. Also my RBTA do I transport him in a cooler also. How long can the coral and livestock stay in the cooler? I'm looking for a step by step idea.

jlong11
06/12/2011, 06:16 PM
get some 50 gallon rubbermaid tubs or brute trash cans and transport alot of your current tank water with your livestock

NirvanaFan
06/12/2011, 07:21 PM
I prefer 5 gallon buckets for everything. You can load them up with your rock and water. You can put fish in them as well. Separate most fish (unless they are paired) to reduce stress. I've always put corals in coolers with plenty of water. Get at least 1 other person to help you. Make sure they know it will take a full day to move everything.

Setting up a rubbermaid stock tank or another large vessel at the new location for temporary housing is always an option also.

steelhead77
06/12/2011, 07:56 PM
The move is less than 20 miles. I have to set the tank back up then its got to cycle, right. Also my RBTA do I transport him in a cooler also. How long can the coral and livestock stay in the cooler? I'm looking for a step by step idea.

If you keep everything wet, there should be minimal to no cycle. People are always breaking tanks down and setting them up again without issues. Use Rubbermaid totes and keep as much of your water as possible and you should be fine. As far as your sand goes, here's a tip that has worked for me in three upgrades: take a scoop of sand in your hand and smell it. If it smells like the beach, you can re-use it with no problem. Do this in several areas. If it smells like rotten eggs, toss it and get new sand. Either way, you should be fine with a short move like that.

Good Luck

alanbates12
06/13/2011, 07:53 AM
Thanks everyone. I've actually got this tank up for sale just because I don't want to move it. This does not sound to bad so I may try to get it moved next week. Thanks everyone.

jlong11
06/13/2011, 08:28 AM
I prefer 5 gallon buckets for everything. You can load them up with your rock and water. You can put fish in them as well. Separate most fish (unless they are paired) to reduce stress. I've always put corals in coolers with plenty of water. Get at least 1 other person to help you. Make sure they know it will take a full day to move everything.

Setting up a rubbermaid stock tank or another large vessel at the new location for temporary housing is always an option also.

well lets say u move 180 gallons in 5 gallon buckets i would say thats alot of buckets u can use maybe 2 for the livestock and i woud get at least 2 for the actual water in the tank and that would give u at least 110 gallons of water son u can setup the tank and still have you bio filter and not have to cycle as u are right about the 5 gallon buckets for livestock but the water is def needed

NirvanaFan
06/13/2011, 10:24 AM
well lets say u move 180 gallons in 5 gallon buckets i would say thats alot of buckets u can use maybe 2 for the livestock and i woud get at least 2 for the actual water in the tank and that would give u at least 110 gallons of water son u can setup the tank and still have you bio filter and not have to cycle as u are right about the 5 gallon buckets for livestock but the water is def needed

Each fish (or pair) should get their own bucket. You don't want them fighting in the buckets. There is no need to move all 180 gallons of water. (Sorry if it sounded that way). Try to get about half of it though.

I would also suggest avoiding rubbermaid totes. They leak badly.

jlong11
06/13/2011, 11:04 AM
ok cleared up i was just sugesting simple sugestions and an easy way to avoid a cycle