PDA

View Full Version : Tank Progress

mike5051
06/12/2011, 02:54 PM
I was just looking through some old pics of my tank and I hadn't realized how much has changed in a few months. The cycle was started on Jan 15th with 3 dead shrimp, carribsea live sand, and 50lbs of dead rock from a a 46 gallon bowfront from 2005. (Thanks Katrina) The first pic is from Feb 9th, just added 25lbs of live rock that had been curing in the garage. Those are the three darker colored pieces in the pic.

The second pic is from last weekend, June 4th! I am amazed by the difference in only a few months. I was suckered in by the LFS on my first reef tank. I bought an "instant" aquarium, with fully cured LR, LS, and 50 gallons of "seeded" water. This was supposed to mean no cycle required just start filling it with expensive inhabitants.:angryfire: It didn't cycle, but it took some time and the death of a few purchases before the the tank was established enough to handle any sort of bioload.

For what its worth, I am much more pleased with the progress this time and really appreciate having you folks around to help out by sharing your experience.

BuckeyeFan
06/12/2011, 03:01 PM
Looks very nice !

rocklion
06/12/2011, 03:13 PM
I was just looking through some old pics of my tank and I hadn't realized how much has changed in a few months. The cycle was started on Jan 15th with 3 dead shrimp, carribsea live sand, and 50lbs of dead rock from a a 46 gallon bowfront from 2005. (Thanks Katrina) The first pic is from Feb 9th, just added 25lbs of live rock that had been curing in the garage. Those are the three darker colored pieces in the pic.

The second pic is from last weekend, June 4th! I am amazed by the difference in only a few months. I was suckered in by the LFS on my first reef tank. I bought an "instant" aquarium, with fully cured LR, LS, and 50 gallons of "seeded" water. This was supposed to mean no cycle required just start filling it with expensive inhabitants.:angryfire: It didn't cycle, but it took some time and the death of a few purchases before the the tank was established enough to handle any sort of bioload.

For what its worth, I am much more pleased with the progress this time and really appreciate having you folks around to help out by sharing your experience.

nice tank! are those blue or blue/green chromas?...also, did u add them all at once ?or one here and there?...do they play nice with each other?

thebkramer
06/12/2011, 03:15 PM
Its always great to look at your pics from the beginning and then the now!!
Tank looks great!!! (be prepared to get some attacks from the tang police! :lol2: )
Wait till you hit the 1 yr mark!! That always sits nicely!!!

muttley000
06/12/2011, 03:30 PM
Nice looking tank! How about a picture of the sump ;)

mike5051
06/12/2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the kind words.:)

They are blue/green chromis, bought 5 of them march 26th and put in QT. Within a week, I was down to 4. The guy at the LFS said if you want 3 buy 5 because they will fight untill a leader is established. I only lost one and he was constantly being picked on by the others. The remaining four are always together except at night. One of them hides in a rock tunnel, scared me one night when I was looking in the rocks with a red flashlight! :eek:

mike5051
06/12/2011, 03:37 PM
Here's a pic of ther sump. Its a 20 gallon, but I am going to build a 30 gallon as soon as I have the time.

muttley000
06/12/2011, 05:08 PM
Just started a thread on HOB Skimmers, which one is that and how do you like it?

mike5051
06/12/2011, 08:25 PM
It's similar to a remora pro, the LFS here builds skimmers. I posted about it in your thread.