PDA

View Full Version : Not happy with SWC 120 cone skimmer

greech
06/12/2011, 03:21 PM
I have had this skimmer for about a year and it has never really performed well for me despite reading a number of good reviews. Tank is a 40 breeder with a 20 gallon sump (say about 55 gallons of water volume). I have tried adjusting it a number of ways with the gate valve open/closed, air set at max and backing it off a little and a mixture of both. I currently have it sitting in a consistent depth of water of 7.5" and it has been there for quite a while. Basically I either get a cup full of watery green tea or only about an inch of some really dry, dark colored skimmate over the course of a week's time.

The tank is lightly stocked with 3 fish (2 clowns and melanarus wrasse). I do feed daily and somewhat generously though. Tank is a mixed reef.

I am thinking that either my bioload is too low to produce skimmate or the skimmer is defective. I am also wondering if there is something in the air silencer but it doesn't look like I can take that apart to look inside. Another option might be to get a bigger pump (or is that not possible?)?

If anyone is familiar with this skimmer and can provide any tips to make it perform better, I would appreciate it.

I should add that my tank does pretty well and nutrient levels are always low or zero with no significant algae issues. This may be due to weekly 15%ish water changes though. Corals are growing well with both SPS and LPS showing good color.

reefwisher
06/12/2011, 05:55 PM
I have this same skimmer on my 40 BR with a 20 gal refugium. I have this skimmer sitting in 8 1/4 inch water at a constant level. I chose this water level due to 2 people. One said they got it in 8 inch water the other said 8 1/2 inch so I went in between. Mine is doing a good job at that level. I have mine with the air wide open and adjust accordingly to what I like. I had to tweak it at minute turns so it would'nt be to wet or dry. My bio-load is very little with just one solar wrasse and a small clean up crew plus a medium load from corals and maxi-mini anemones. I can't complain about this skimmer as it is doing it job very well. I got it set-up to empty the cup every 2 days at about half full which is a medium dark skimmate. I also clean the skimmer out once a month especially the mesh wheel. I have had this skimmer going on 3 months and I really like it so far. In fact I think I lucked on on it,cause it started working very well from day one, break in or no break in period.

Frankfish
06/12/2011, 05:59 PM
I don't have any experience with this skimmer, but if it has been running for a year, and your water parameters are good, and your livestock is happy and healthy, then I have to think it is doing its job.

greech
06/12/2011, 06:04 PM
I have this same skimmer on my 40 BR with a 20 gal refugium. I have this skimmer sitting in 8 1/4 inch water at a constant level. I chose this water level due to 2 people. One said they got it in 8 inch water the other said 8 1/2 inch so I went in between. Mine is doing a good job at that level. I have mine with the air wide open and adjust accordingly to what I like. I had to tweak it at minute turns so it would'nt be to wet or dry. My bio-load is very little with just one solar wrasse and a small clean up crew plus a medium load from corals and maxi-mini anemones. I can't complain about this skimmer as it is doing it job very well. I got it set-up to empty the cup every 2 days at about half full which is a medium dark skimmate. I also clean the skimmer out once a month especially the mesh wheel. I have had this skimmer going on 3 months and I really like it so far. In fact I think I lucked on on it,cause it started working very well from day one, break in or no break in period.

Thank you, very helpful especially since you have the a very similar setup/bioload. So at 8.25" how wide open do you have the gate valve? I have had this skimmer in 9", 8" and now 7.5" so I will give the 8.25"-8.5" height a try.

One other question on height... Is your intake set at 8.25" below the water line or is that the depth from the water line to the base of the skimmer?

Glad to hear your 120 is working well for you.

I don't have any experience with this skimmer, but if it has been running for a year, and your water parameters are good, and your livestock is happy and healthy, then I have to think it is doing its job.

Have had similar thoughts but since this is my 1st skimmer I really didn't know what to expect. From other reports and pics I think I should be seeing more.

milkman55
06/12/2011, 06:11 PM
I would say your bioload is insufficient to produce much skimmate. Three fish do not produce much waste. Like was previously said, if your water parameters are good, that means either the skimmer is doing it's job and/or you are not creating much bioload.

Have you talked to Luke over at Reef Filtration?

greech
06/12/2011, 06:19 PM
I would say your bioload is insufficient to produce much skimmate. Three fish do not produce much waste. Like was previously said, if your water parameters are good, that means either the skimmer is doing it's job and/or you are not creating much bioload.

Have you talked to Luke over at Reef Filtration?

No I haven't talked to him. I don't believe the skimmer was purchased from them though (was a gift). Thanks for the input on the bioload.

reefwisher
06/12/2011, 06:57 PM
The measurement is from the base to the waterline. I could'nt tell you how far open my gate valve is,sorry. I adjusted it to where I wanted it then I took a magic marker and put a mark on the gate valve handle so I would know where it at , so when ever I do a water change I turn my valve to drop the water level so it does'nt do an overflow. Then when I am done, I just turn it back to where it was. You can also use this mark to adjust it minute. I never turn my skimmer off, only time I turn it off is to clean it.

surferboi2113
07/18/2011, 02:18 AM
I've have the exact same issue as yours Greech. Get gunk on the cap and the under neck but nothing would flow over but tea colored skim mate. Honestly, i gave up and bought a different skimmer.

I think the problem is with the pump, though i have no data to prove this. I'm going to buy another pump and mod it, and see how that goes, but as of right now, its in the garage.

Have you found a solution yet?

wildman926
07/18/2011, 10:37 AM
That skimmer is rated for a 55g with HEAVY bioload. With your weekly 15% water changes, and low occupant rating, what you are seeing is normal.

Chris27
07/18/2011, 12:21 PM
Skimmate volume is not a way to determine the effectiveness of a skimmer.....water parameters are. If nutrients are undetectable, and the livestock is happy and healthy, why mess with a good thing?

gldnegle76
08/02/2011, 12:47 PM
greech,

any update on this issue? Looking at the 120 myself. Already have the 160.

Sacohen
01/24/2015, 08:59 PM
I have this skimmer and am getting my 90 gallon tank setup for it.

When you say you have it sitting in 8 1/4" of water (or what ever your's is sitting in)

So if my first chamber of my sump has a 13 1/2" baffle before the water flows over the edge to the fug section.

I would need to raise the skimmer up about 5" or so to get it sitting in 8 1/2" is that correct?

A sea K
01/25/2015, 05:53 AM
I have this skimmer and am getting my 90 gallon tank setup for it.

When you say you have it sitting in 8 1/4" of water (or what ever your's is sitting in)

So if my first chamber of my sump has a 13 1/2" baffle before the water flows over the edge to the fug section.

I would need to raise the skimmer up about 5" or so to get it sitting in 8 1/2" is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. One thing of note, the water going over the 13-1/2" baffle will be a little higher depending on through the sump flow, so your actual skimmer depth will be a tad less than 8-1/2".

Sacohen
01/25/2015, 08:41 AM
This is the layout of my sump.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk250/sac9665/SumpDesign2_zpsbbe4ef77.jpg

The first section (for the skimmer) is 13 1/2" high.
The 2nd section (Fuge) will only be 12 1/2" high.
and the return is 11 1/2" high, so I don't see it getting much higher than 13 1/2" unless the return is off.

cakemanPA
01/25/2015, 09:11 AM
holy dead thread brought back to life batman...

Sacohen
01/25/2015, 09:46 AM
It just takes 1 post to bring it back to life.

acer
05/15/2015, 05:05 PM
I am glad someone brought this thread back up - as I was looking at this skimmer to purchase for my new 45 cube with a 20 sump. But I think I will pass now. Sounds like it was not a simple skimmer to set up.

Bill Nye
05/15/2015, 08:53 PM
I am glad someone brought this thread back up - as I was looking at this skimmer to purchase for my new 45 cube with a 20 sump. But I think I will pass now. Sounds like it was not a simple skimmer to set up.

Check out the Aquamaxx/JNS CO-1. I have a 50 gallon breeder/20 sump with this skimmer and I am 100 percent happy with it. Pulls the darkest skim of any I've owned.

acer
05/15/2015, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the info - but seems pretty large- I think for that price and foot print I will try to fit my old modified ASM G3 in the sump- LOL - that could be humorous. Maybe it will fit. Obviously it is overkill - but better than no skimming at all. I am setting the 45 cube up to support and be a isolation/medicine tank for a full 65 reef set up that has an AquaC 180 skimmer I picked up which I will move to my place this weekend. Maybe I will use the G3 ( rated for 240 gallons??) in the 65 reef and the Aqua C 180 ( rated 75 -150) in the 45 cube. Hmmm.