PDA

View Full Version : NLS Wow!

cham
06/12/2011, 04:22 PM
I've had my SPS tank running three years now with a couple clowns, yellow tang, hippo tang, large blue/green chromis and anthias. I've always fed Mysis and occasionally Rods or some other random foods but mostly mysis.

My clowns had some black in them, mostly on the top and it looked to be a part of their shading so I didn't think anything of it.

Well I got a new PBT (tang police come & get me :P) and he was super skinny. On the reccomendation of others I started feeding New Life Spectrum pellets and the PBT went from skinny and light colors to very dark and gaining weight like I have never seen before.

So I decided to start feeding my main tank about 10 days ago. WOW. My yellow tang has never been so yellow, my clowns have almost lost all of their black (back to a very bright orange) and the fish are fatter and more active than ever!

What is in this NLS stuff? I can't believe the changes to my fish, I can't believe there isn't more raving about these pellets. I've heard of them in the past but I've always just fed frozen foods. NLS is now going to be the staple in my tank with occasional mysis.

Anyone else see a huge impact when they started feeding it?

dwa_jeff
06/12/2011, 04:34 PM
yea I've been feeding NLS for quite a while. I think its the best dry food out there. I've seen big increases in color as well. The fish just seem overall healthier and more active. The LFS I manage didn't even carry the stuff when i started there, now its the main food for almost every fish we have. Its literally got everything! I think the first ingredient is whole herring meal if i recall correctly and its got fruits, vegetables and tons of other stuff. Its the staple diet i recommend every time. of course variety is still key though.

cham
06/12/2011, 04:42 PM
yea I've been feeding NLS for quite a while. I think its the best dry food out there. I've seen big increases in color as well. The fish just seem overall healthier and more active. The LFS I manage didn't even carry the stuff when i started there, now its the main food for almost every fish we have. Its literally got everything! I think the first ingredient is whole herring meal if i recall correctly and its got fruits, vegetables and tons of other stuff. Its the staple diet i recommend every time. of course variety is still key though.

I don't think I've ever started a thread recommending anything and I've owned or bought a lot of different pieces of equipment & foods. But NLS blew me away. I read a few pages of thier website (I think there are 10 or 11 that talks about their food) and I was shocked.

Anyone that hasn't tried feeding it should give it a try, the results I had are amazing.

kybreos
06/12/2011, 05:14 PM
Which particular variety are you using? I see multiple types.

jbowen
06/12/2011, 05:21 PM
NLS = Fish Crack
I use it for my Salt Tank and my African Cichlids (dif varieties). They devour every bit before it hits the bottom of the tank.

JG1
06/12/2011, 05:40 PM
My fish don't particularly care for the NLS pellets....maybe they're spoiled from the Roggers reef food.

dzfish17
06/12/2011, 05:43 PM
I use it too... along with some frozen foods and nori.

aleonn
06/12/2011, 05:47 PM
I really like NLS, and agree it's probably the best dry fish pellets I've seen so far. The ingredients are very diverse and include garlic, krill, and veges, if I remember correctly.

cham
06/12/2011, 05:49 PM
Which particular variety are you using? I see multiple types.

Marine, although I'm going to try the Thera A next (same thing but with more garlic)

NLS = Fish Crack
I use it for my Salt Tank and my African Cichlids (dif varieties). They devour every bit before it hits the bottom of the tank.

I know right!

My fish don't particularly care for the NLS pellets....maybe they're spoiled from the Roggers reef food.

Mine have been on Roggers, nori and mysis. I fed only NLS for a week and they weren't too crazy about it at first but being the only thing in the tank and they're pigs they took to it quickly. Tonight I put in NLS and Roggers and the roggers went uneaten. They prefer the NLS now and their colors speak for themsleves.

I knew corals could be "colored up" but I had no idea fish could be too.

cham
06/12/2011, 05:50 PM
I really like NLS, and agree it's probably the best dry fish pellets I've seen so far. The ingredients are very diverse and include garlic, krill, and veges, if I remember correctly.

I did a lot of google searching and I've found reefers who have kept archilles with NLS alone.

Here is a skinny PBT that I've fattened up on almost exclusively NLS. I did some nori at first but the past couple weeks I've only fed NLS.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2021836

I need to take some more pics, his spine is almost completely gone head to tail

JG1
06/12/2011, 05:54 PM
Marine, although I'm going to try the Thera A next (same thing but with more garlic)

I know right!

Mine have been on Roggers, nori and mysis. I fed only NLS for a week and they weren't too crazy about it at first but being the only thing in the tank and they're pigs they took to it quickly. Tonight I put in NLS and Roggers and the roggers went uneaten. They prefer the NLS now and their colors speak for themsleves.

I knew corals could be "colored up" but I had no idea fish could be too.

I feed Roggers twice a day...maybe I'll start making one of those feedings NLS pellets

cham
06/12/2011, 06:07 PM
I feed Roggers twice a day...maybe I'll start making one of those feedings NLS pellets

I've read that fish are creatures of habbit and often don't like change. You might have to feed only NLS for a day or two to get them to open up to something new.

I'm setting up my Ehiem autofeeder on my DT and going to feed pellet twice a day at noon and 4pm, then I'll feed Roggers and some Mysis from time to time.

crobattt
06/12/2011, 06:22 PM
What is NLS? :c

frankpayne32
06/12/2011, 06:25 PM
Definitely great stuff, I use NLS 90% of the time. Every fish I've ever had eats it eventually. Also, no added "mess" to the tank. 100% of it gets eaten within a minute or two.

cham
06/12/2011, 06:25 PM
What is NLS? :c

New Life Spectrum pellet food.

I've never fed pellet food in the past because I was afraid of it being a phosphate factory

crobattt
06/12/2011, 06:41 PM
oh, i use http://www.sustainableaquatics.com/products/hatchery-feeds Think i should switch?

sporto0
06/12/2011, 09:06 PM
i must concur all my fish absolutely love the nls pellets, even my achilles tang prefers this to the formula 1 & 2 pellets, altho he eats about anything including freeze dried krill from my hand.

dwa_jeff
06/12/2011, 09:08 PM
oh, i use http://www.sustainableaquatics.com/products/hatchery-feeds Think i should switch?

I've used the hatchery feed from SA and I like it, well the fish do, they seem to go nuts for it. I haven't used it as a staple diet to really say long term how it does. They seem to have great luck with it. I stick with my NLS for everybody though.

david pinder
06/12/2011, 09:29 PM
Any one familiar where can buy this in bulk, with over 100 fish the little tins dont get it

sporto0
06/12/2011, 10:39 PM
Any one familiar where can buy this in bulk, with over 100 fish the little tins dont get it

http://nlsfishfood.com/index.php?option=com_geda&Itemid=75

walkerbrody
06/12/2011, 10:50 PM

ebay 5lbs $50

duncantse
06/12/2011, 10:59 PM
This NLS pellets are awesome! I have been using this as a staple food. The only problem is that some of the more delicate fish like tangs/butterflies/angelfish doesn't seem to like pellets. Any tips or tricks to getting them to switch from frozen to pellets?

4wheelvfr
07/26/2011, 08:07 PM
I soak my pellets with PE mysis and other frozen foods and feed them together. My Limbaughs Chromis didn't eat the pellets when offered alone, but soaked with the other foods he snatches all he can.

Lynnmw1208
07/26/2011, 08:14 PM
I agree! I have been feeding NLS pellets for some time now and my clowns are simply the brightest orange I've ever seen! The only fish that won't eat them is my one anthias and you can tell she won't. Her friend is much more bulky and brighter than her. My pearly jawfish also became much more blue after eating this food as he was a much muted color when I got him.

I use a mix of the thera-A and finicky fish formula. I also supplement with frozen foods: rods, cyclops and mysis.

My tip for people trying to switch fish to the pellets is to feed the pellets first before frozen. If the fish get a taste of frozen first, they won't eat the pellets. If you feed them right away in the morning or afternoon when you feed, they will be eager and hungry and grab the pellets :)