PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Death

tnias
06/12/2011, 07:05 PM
So I got a new shipment of Chromis on Wednesday and they were doing fine in QT, didn't see them eat much but they were pretty skitish so I didn't worry about it. Then on Saturday morning they were both dead.

My in tank ammonia gage was on the first color, which it has been before while QT'ing other fish and never had a problem so I don't think it was ammonia that killed them but I can't think of anything else that could kill them both without symptoms.

Any guesses what might have killed them?

Should I empty, clean, and refill the QT before a new shipment arrives?

I have successfully QT'ed 4 other batches of fish without any problems and I always empty the tank, clean, and refill it before a new batch arrives.

briankmarsh1980
06/12/2011, 07:25 PM
Chromis are pretty iffy .... The last time I ordered some I ordered 30 expecting half to die I ended up with 2 they did fine in QT for 30 days then just started dropping like flys.
If you are using one of those seacheam badge things you suction to the tank... I would advise not using them they are not accurate and most of the time never work anyway.

tnias
06/12/2011, 08:12 PM
I have been using the seachem badge for the QT. I will check the ammonia in the tank later tonight to see what my test kit shows.

Thanks

jcw
06/12/2011, 08:38 PM
My mortality in qt was unacceptably high. So, instead of a sterile qt, I set mine up like a fowlr tank with fully cycled live rock in a sump with a skimmer, chaeto and return pump. The whole nine yards, minus the fancy lights.

ONLY IF the fish show signs of disease will I attempt transporting them into a treatment tank. I have treated with prazipro in the "fowlr" qt without problems.

I also try to minimize the possiblity of receiving diseased fish by paying the premium at DD.

If ich shows up, the fowlr qt will need to remain fallow for 8-10 weeks before another fish can be qt'd/observed.

just another way of doing things...