PDA

View Full Version : One quick ? Bout mixing water

DoctorMatt
06/12/2011, 08:59 PM
Sorry for the ignorance here but got quick question about mixing salt water before I start. Book I read says never mix salt water in tank, and to use separate mix jug and let sit some time before adding. With this method seems like it would take weeks to start tank, so how exactly does everyone else do it in beginning?

mike5051
06/12/2011, 09:06 PM
It's ok to mix your saltwater in an empty aquarium, you don't want to do it once you have life in there. Mix it seperately and let it circulate with a powerhead and a heater 24 hrs before using it.

thegrun
06/12/2011, 09:30 PM
If you are going to use the in-tank mix method, do it in a bare tank without rock or sand.

briankmarsh1980
06/12/2011, 10:02 PM
I got pre mixed salt water to fill my tank when I set it up.

Now I use a bucket and a powerhead to mix salt it takes between 12 and 24 hrs for the PH to stabilize then I do my water changes.

duncantse
06/12/2011, 10:09 PM
it's ok to mix your saltwater in an empty aquarium, you don't want to do it once you have life in there. Mix it seperately and let it circulate with a powerhead and a heater 24 hrs before using it.

+1

msaleem
06/12/2011, 10:31 PM
well i just learned something new.. soo you have to let the water sit for 24hrs..

Jerry W
06/12/2011, 10:40 PM
well i just learned something new.. soo you have to let the water sit for 24hrs..

From what I've learned, freshly mixed saltwater is not chemicaly stable. Allowing it to mix for 24 hours let's all of the salt fully dissolve and the temp and pH to balance out, matching the parameters of your tank water. I use a 32 gallon brute trash can to have mixed sw on hand all the time. JMO

msaleem
06/13/2011, 12:05 AM
From what I've learned, freshly mixed saltwater is not chemicaly stable. Allowing it to mix for 24 hours let's all of the salt fully dissolve and the temp and pH to balance out, matching the parameters of your tank water. I use a 32 gallon brute trash can to have mixed sw on hand all the time. JMO

im probably gonna start doing that, i make my water with a 5 gallon bucket at the moment but only because i have a 34 gallon tank until i set the other one up.

jr_casteel1999
06/13/2011, 01:05 AM
if you do get a bigger mixing container just make sure it is food safe. or you could run into some problems. also its good to invest in a tds meter to make sure your ro water is good to begin with.

DoctorMatt
06/13/2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks for all the advice. Gonna mix it all in bare tank for first time use only then start adding

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/13/2011, 02:31 PM
Book I read says never mix salt water in tank, and to use separate mix jug and let sit some time before adding. With this method seems like it would take weeks to start tank,

Even if you mix it separately, it might not add much time. I mix up 88 gallons at a time in Brute trash cans. It is not really desirable to make up very small batches in case the bucket has settled, making the salt you withdraw not homogeneous.

This may be useful on how to mix it, what salinity, what's in it, etc:

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 1: The Salt Water Itself
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-03/rhf/index.php