PDA

View Full Version : Issues with moving?

Coconuts Mcgee
06/12/2011, 09:20 PM
Hello, I am setting up a 90g tank with q 29g sump in a basement suite that I just moved into. I am a little worried that if I even need to move (within the city) that the tank will be too difficult to deal with. Have you moved an established tank before? Could you provide a little insight into the process?
Thank you!

thegrun
06/12/2011, 09:28 PM
It takes time, but very doable, especially if you only move a short distance. I've used a combo of 5 gallon buckets and brute trash cans to transport the contents. Basically it is a matter of draining the tank into buckets, placing live rock, corals and fish into the buckets and moving to the new location. Sand is a bit trickier as it often accumulates detritus which can cause issues when the new tank is set-up. Many reefers just start with new sand, but I've always cleaned and reused my sand.

Coconuts Mcgee
06/12/2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks, so you suggest keeping nearly all the water too? Also with the sand storm created by adding new sand, is there going to be an issue with the new tank setup? Or do I essentially quarantine my stock until the DT is functional?

disc1
06/12/2011, 09:39 PM
The water coming over with the fish is going to get kinda nasty. You're going to keep part/most of your water, but think of it like a BIG water change.

thegrun
06/12/2011, 09:41 PM
Keep as much water as possible to avoid further stress to the fish and corals by a change to the new water's chemistry. If you wash the new sand well, there should only be a minimal sand storm. As long as your live rock is only out of the water for a short time, there should not be another cycle, although you are likely to get some diatom blooms with the new sand. No need to QT your fish, if they well health before the move, they should be fine afterwards.

thegrun
06/12/2011, 09:43 PM
The water coming over with the fish is going to get kinda nasty. You're going to keep part/most of your water, but think of it like a BIG water change.

I try to siphon off as much water as possible before disturbing the rock which will cloud the water. Some water absolutely will need to be discarded, but 75% or so can be saved.

Coconuts Mcgee
06/12/2011, 09:44 PM
great, thanks! I was a little worried about setting up such a big tank and finding out I have to move in a year.

kruserm
06/12/2011, 09:49 PM
I just moved a 120g two weeks ago. We put the fish, rocks and coral in buckets and totes. We saved as much of the water as possible. I had a 70g tote at home with water premixed and a couple of other totes filled with water ready to go. When we got the fish, coral and rocks home we mixed the water about 50/50. I put a couple power heads in the totes. I bought new sand for the tank based off of the info I read on the forums. After the tank was up and running I moved the rocks over that didn't have coral on them to help the tank cycle. After about 4 days of the tank running I moved the fish and remaining rock with coral on it. I did not lose anything so far.