PDA

View Full Version : Pacific blue regal hippo tang has ich

567234ta
06/13/2011, 09:00 AM
I believe he got it from my main tank (150 gal), because i had a fish in there a while ago that had it, removed him and he didn't make it.
The bp tang shows white dots by evening but in the morning looks clean, he is eating well, garlic flake food, brine shrimp, algae looks healthy and fat.
I have shrimp in the tank which may be cleaning him at night which is why he looks good in the morning?

I want to rid my tank of the ich though so i will list everything i have in it as im not sure if i have to remove shrimp, or if gobys are safe to treat with cupramine, etc.

1 yellow tang
1 vlamingi tang
3 skunk shrimp
4 peppermint shrimp
1 fire shrimp
2 engineer gobys
1 green mandarin
1 yellow watchman goby ( i think, never see him)
1 pb tang (only 1 showing signs of ich)
1 rbta
1 gbta
2 leather corals
5 emerald crabs
* several star pollops
* several hermit crabs
* a few turbo snails
* mushrooms
* live rock

Do i remove all the fish and put them in a QT to treat? shrimp also? crabs? This is gonna be a mess if i got to to catch them all.:sad2:

crobattt
06/13/2011, 09:02 AM
Only fish you need treat, not inverts. Leave the DT empty of fish for 8 weeks.

567234ta
06/13/2011, 09:20 AM
Only fish you need treat, not inverts. Leave the DT empty of fish for 8 weeks.

So just to be clear, remove and treat
1 yellow tang
1 vlamingi tang
2 engineer gobys
1 green mandarin
1 yellow watchman goby
1 pb tang
with cupramine, it is safe for all these guys?

Orcrone
06/13/2011, 09:28 AM
So just to be clear, remove and treat
1 yellow tang
1 vlamingi tang
2 engineer gobys
1 green mandarin
1 yellow watchman goby
1 pb tang
with cupramine, it is safe for all these guys?

That's correct. Copper will kill invertebrates so you can't treat with copper if you have any invertebrates. Luckily the crypt parasite cannot survive without a fish to host it. So you should move all the fish to a hospital tank and treat with either copper or hyposalinity (both will kill the crypt). After sitting for 8 weeks without any fish the display tank should be clean of crypt also.

There is a lot more info in the Fish Disease forum.

It's good that you're treating properly. Good luck!!!!

567234ta
06/13/2011, 09:34 AM
Okay thank you for the fast responses, as much as this sucks i guess i got to tear apart all my rocks and catch them.:mad:

8 weeks in a QT tank is gonna make them pretty angry. i'll make sure there is plenty of pvc of different sizes for all of them to hide in.
I have read eveything i could find about ich but wasn't sure if cupramine was safe for all of the species i have.
Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

Orcrone
06/13/2011, 09:36 AM
I don't know what you have for filtration for your hospital tank, but if you don't have some kind of bio-filter set up keep a good eye on your ammonia levels. Keep something like Prime or Amquel on hand and be prepared to do some water changes. And best of luck to you.

jlong11
06/13/2011, 09:47 AM
u can check fish lists and other information as certain fish are very sensitive to copper as well just so u know

567234ta
06/13/2011, 06:24 PM
Well this is kinda strange, all day and he has not one speck on him now, he wasn't acting funny either like they normally would, darting or scratching even when he had like 25 spots on him last night. I did get some cupramine today but i am gonna wait and see if he gets anymore spots in the next couple days before i treat him. he is eating good, seems healthy, i am scared to mess with him and stress him by removing him.

evsalty
06/13/2011, 06:32 PM
Keep something like Prime or Amquel on hand and be prepared to do some water changes.

I did get some cupramine today but i am gonna wait and see if he gets anymore spots in the next couple days before i treat him.

OP - whatever you do, DO NOT mix Cupramine or any copper product with Prime or Amquel. It can become toxic and kill your fish.

Orcrone
06/13/2011, 07:04 PM
OP - whatever you do, DO NOT mix Cupramine or any copper product with Prime or Amquel. It can become toxic and kill your fish.

Thank you Evsalty. I was not aware of that. To OP - I apologize for giving such bad advice.

567234ta
06/13/2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the advice, i really hate to use any chemicals for anything in any of my tanks, it's always the last resort for me. I have recently had a small amount of cyano red slime in my tank so i ordered some gfo and a brs reactor. I been feeding a little heavy trying to keep all the fish strong and healthy but it's taking a toll on my sumps capacity to remove the bad things.

Finsky
10/20/2011, 09:42 PM
I would keep the temperature at 82 to 84 and fed well and you will not have any ich problem. This is the natural way.

I feed my tank seaweed cut up into bite size pieces with scissors, freeze dried mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, and bloodworms along with Ocean Nutrition One and Two flakes and pellets all soaked in Vita-Chem, Selcon, and Brightwell Vitamin- C.

After this has be consumed I dose with Kent Marine Phytoplex, Chromplex, Zooplex, and Microvert.