PDA

View Full Version : Powerhead size and placement

XR750
06/13/2011, 09:25 AM
After much lurking on this site, my son and I are setting up a 75G LPS and Softie tank (glass holes overflow on rear wall, 15G sump, quiet one 3000 return split into two nozzles). There are two rock mounds (40 lbs. +- each), placed toward the sides, but away from the walls so the fish and water can circulate behind them. I installed two maxijet 400 powerheads with the sure flow kits (supposed to be 1300 GPH each), positioned on the side wall(s) near the top-rear corner, pointing to the opposite corner(s) and slightly tilted up. Fired them up and major displacement of my 3-4" deep sandbed. This seems like a typical amount of flow that I've read about, and I tried putting the powerheads on the rear wall, pointing straight ahead or into the corners, and gotten the same results.

Is it too much flow, or amd I just looking at a placement issue?

pentrix2
06/13/2011, 09:31 AM
How many inches did you place it from the top? There should be little displacement of your sandbend.

By the way, congrats on your 75g tank. Great move on the 15G sump.

Orcrone
06/13/2011, 09:31 AM
Is it too much flow? That could cause a nice debate. :)

IMO you could get by with less for LPS and softies. I wouldn't say that if you were keeping SPS. I have two similar size powerheads in my 125 and the corals are all doing well. With that said I think I'd try playing with the placement some more. Perhaps point them at the rock mounds or point them up towards the surface.

pentrix2
06/13/2011, 09:43 AM
Is it too much flow? That could cause a nice debate. :)

IMO you could get by with less for LPS and softies. I wouldn't say that if you were keeping SPS. I have two similar size powerheads in my 125 and the corals are all doing well. With that said I think I'd try playing with the placement some more. Perhaps point them at the rock mounds or point them up towards the surface.

i'm with you on this one too, it's about placement. the powerheads maxijet 400 (x2) is good for your tank. some folks really overkill their flow till the point the fishes can barely stay still even if they wanted too.

My powerheads are roughly 4-6 inches from the top.

Pen

pentrix2
06/14/2011, 06:06 AM
XR750, any luck?

jbell370
06/14/2011, 06:18 AM
It will calm down once the sand settles. I had the same issue, every morning and every evening moving the sand back where I wanted it. After a month or so it started to just stay put. I have however moved on from the maxi mods to a Vortech and really enjoy it. I know they are more money, but my corals have never looked better.

XR750
06/14/2011, 07:21 AM
I turned the powerheads off, moved them down about 4" but still aimed up, manually moved sand back in place and let things settle overnight. Turned them on this morning, didn't appear to be moving sand like before, so we'll see what happens today. Thanks for the responses.

DeepSeaBeauti
06/14/2011, 08:29 AM
I agree with Jbell370. Get a pump that you can dial the power down or up? I also started with maxi pumps, and slowly bough vortechs as i had money to do so. Now i set them up to my tanks demands. I just wish they were directional.