PDA

View Full Version : Need help..

lucky_snapper
06/13/2011, 01:58 PM
I am trying to get a jump start on my live rock for the main 220 gal tank. I bought some metal halide fixtures today and I have about 50 lbs of dead branch coral that came with the tank when I bought it. The branch coral is dry and has no life in it at all.. its actually all pretty brownish white.. It may be another month or so before I can get the display tank up an running so I was thinking about buying a 100 gal rubber made tub and trying to start growing some Coraline algae.. My question is what is the best way to go about doing this ?? I am a total noob when it comes to live rock so.. I know I can go local and buy some pieces to help get the process going.. I am hoping some one can break it down for my step by step and help me get this thing going ASAP.. I also just picked up some sand from a guy that he was useing in his 300 so it is still moist and I was thinking about throwing it in the bottom to get it going as well...

briankmarsh1980
06/13/2011, 02:08 PM
I killed all my live rock once by baking it in the sun.....
i used a rubbermaid container threw the rock in there with some powerheads and started to cycle the rock there before putting it back in my tank.

the term "live" is just the bacteria thats in the rock, so starting now giving you a month head start on the rock is a good idea, I think it takes like 4 months for dead rock to become fully live rock.

it also takes around 5 months for coraline to start growing once you have your tank set up.

you can also see if a local reefer can give you some coraline scrapings, you can add that once your tank is running to get the coraline to take off faster