PDA

View Full Version : Help Choosing my New Tank Please

FraggleWhat
06/13/2011, 07:20 PM
Hi all I joined RC back in April and have spent a while reading alot of threads and getting excited about a nano tank. My wife and I have a large tank up and running and it is a reef tank as well. So here is where I need Help. I have never attempted a nano before and I just want an enclosed system that we can keep in our bedroom.

I am looking at a few different brands and want your opinions about what you feel is best and why. I like both the BioCube and JBJ. Also is it best to keep HQI in such a small confined space? I want to attempt sps and clams. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Mike

Moonstream
06/13/2011, 11:32 PM
I'd vote for 29g Biocube HQI if you want SPS/clams- I have a standard biocube that I run hood-less with T5HO's. good design, good size, good system. I think it would be okay so long as the room doesnt get too hot, run a fan across the surface if you need to, but I dont know about needing a chiller.

FraggleWhat
06/14/2011, 12:14 AM
Thank you for your opinion and advice, I greatly appreciate it.

CrazyChalice
06/14/2011, 12:24 AM
I currently have the JBJ 28 gal nano cube HQI. I love it! I hold softies, LPS, SPS, and 2 clams (1 maxima and 1 crocea). Everything is thriving! I do run a chiller though and be prepared to somehow keep your temp down in the tank. My house is 72 year round, yet my tank (without the chiller) will fluctuate approximately 6 degrees (77-83). Not good. So I got a chiller and never regretted it. Got the JBJ 1/15 hp. Quiet and more than enough. But yeah JBJ all the way. Stand is kinda flimsy though, and I dont know how Biocubes stand is. But, its ok for now. Oh and with a chiller I only have to top off about 1 or max 2 times a week. If you choose the fan route, which is much cheaper, your top off will have to be more often. Hope that helps!

FraggleWhat
06/14/2011, 01:25 AM
Very cool, I really liked the lighting on the JBJ which is why I was leaning that way. I found a JBJ 1/15 chiller on CList in my area, 3 months old and got it for 175 bucks so I have a chiller. I liked the ability on the JBJ to do the lighting upgrade. Thank you for your input.

Phsycodelic81
06/14/2011, 05:54 AM
read sea max is the way to go

ange062
06/14/2011, 07:49 AM
I also have a JBJ and have been very happy with it. I think no matter which way you go there are plenty of resources on RC on how to modify it, what fits on it, etc etc so you really can't go wrong.

Since you have a chiller, I would definitely recommend going with a strong light setup (like the HQI) because it will open up more options for your livestock as you build out the tank. I have a PC light, and although I have had great success with it so far, I plan to upgrade to HQI + T5 soon for even better growth.

nolanrob123
06/15/2011, 02:40 PM
I love my jbj hqi. The only mods I did were the led upgrade and also added the actinic bulbs. I have everything from clams to sps and they thrive.

FraggleWhat
06/15/2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks for all of the great advice, I am going to get the JBJ, now I just have to decide whether I was the HQI and add the Lighting upgrade or go with the new 89 watt Advanced LED setup. As far as the stands go, I am a Mechanical engineer and a Master Carpenter, I will just build my own stand out of solid oak or another hardwood for 25 bucks max.

FraggleWhat
06/15/2011, 06:31 PM
HOLY SPAMACKEREL!!!! So I just saw a new JBJ with the 89 watt LED setup at my LFS and it was set up next to an HQI set up and OMG!!! the LED setup is truly amazing. I am definitely buying that. The lighting on this is ridiculous and really gives off very little heat, the hand test resulted in about 4 seconds for the Halide and until my arm hurt for the LED. So I have my lighting setup and aquarium down, I guess my next step is to start a build thread. :)

Ansphire
06/16/2011, 10:22 AM
Instead of hqi why dont you get leds... Ur energy bill will be allot lower and u will. not need a chiller.