PDA

View Full Version : Did i screw up? Marco Rocks.

kdrof
06/13/2011, 07:59 PM
Hey all, i recently purchased 150 lbs of Marco rock. I was excited because i know its clean rock. I just read that i should "cook" it. Well my concern is... I spent hours and hours getting my aquascape how i wanted it and am very happy with it. I am just filling up RODI water in my tank. Can i let the rocks sit with no light and a powerhead for a few days? Then do a water change and maybe another. I didnt want to waste a ton of salt on water that i would just have to get rid of anyways... I dont care if it stinks.. i forwarned the wife :D. But any help would be greatly appreciated, Kevin

kdrof
06/13/2011, 08:01 PM
O yea, one more thing. I attached the rocks with aquarium glue as well.. so getting it apart wouldnt be fun.

Lynnmw1208
06/13/2011, 08:06 PM
I left mine for 3 days while my RO/DI water was filling up the tank. It was fine but boy did it STINK!

dlp211
06/13/2011, 08:07 PM
If it were me, and I add this disclaimer that I am still new to the hobby. But I would use saltwater and a heater and start cycling your tank as is. The smell will go away after a few days and you shouldn't have to do a large water change because of the rock. You might do water changes because of nitrates, algae, etc.

kdrof
06/13/2011, 08:36 PM
Ok thanks guys, Lynn.. Did your water turn yellow or anything? i read a thread and someone said that their water turned crappy.. thats why i was tentative to put salt in it.. But they looked pretty clean.

ReefKnot
06/13/2011, 08:38 PM
I used marco rock. I built my scape then filled with RO/DI and added salt and then seeded the tank..... I'm 7 weeks in and haven't had a problem. If you are cycling the tank with the rock in there, I dont think you need to cook it....

I'm no expert but I dont think you'll have any problems.

kdrof
06/13/2011, 08:40 PM
Ok Reefknot, thanks for the reply! I appreciate it.

James404
06/13/2011, 08:41 PM
I used marco rock. I built my scape then filled with RO/DI and added salt and then seeded the tank..... I'm 7 weeks in and haven't had a problem. If you are cycling the tank with the rock in there, I dont think you need to cook it....

I'm no expert but I dont think you'll have any problems.

Agreed, if this is a new tank just fill it up, get your salinity right and on with the cycle.

kdrof
06/13/2011, 08:46 PM
Yep its brand new. Thanks James for the reassurance! :D Makes me feel alot better

albano
06/13/2011, 08:56 PM
pretty sure there is a thread here, about heavy phosphates in Marco rock...would suggest water changes and testing

dzfish17
06/13/2011, 09:01 PM
I used over 400 lbs of marcorock primecuts and I didnt cook it either. Same as above... I filled the tank and started the cycle.

Gfoot2000
06/13/2011, 09:08 PM
heat up your tank with heaters, be careful not to take out your heaters right after you unplug

edit: nevermind, everyone seems to be doing ok without cooking

Lynnmw1208
06/13/2011, 10:10 PM
Ok thanks guys, Lynn.. Did your water turn yellow or anything? i read a thread and someone said that their water turned crappy.. thats why i was tentative to put salt in it.. But they looked pretty clean.

Yeah it turned a yellow color but after the tank was completely full of RO/DI, I put salt in and started to run carbon in the sump. The discoloration soon went away :thumbsup: Oh and a skimmer helps pull the gunk out too.

Lynnmw1208
06/13/2011, 10:11 PM
Agreed, if this is a new tank just fill it up, get your salinity right and on with the cycle.

+1 this is what I did. Those rocks really help the cycle start!

kdrof
06/19/2011, 03:17 PM
Well guys, a little update. I filled with water wednesday and added live sand to the marco rocks. I didnt rinse or anything and my water is clear as ever and no smell. I called Marc from Marco rock and he said dont worry about rinsing the rocks are clean. So i went ahead and just added RODI with salt that was mixed. Skimmer really isnt pulling much of anything out either. I turned it on friday after i let the bacteria and sand settle. Thanks for the help.

littlefish09
06/19/2011, 06:22 PM
ive had no problems either

Polahbear
06/19/2011, 10:06 PM
I had some that had a strong stink, then another time it was very faint. So I'd suggest getting the salt in there and getting that cycle started, if you get the stink you can always do a change if needed, but you would get a stink if you used the shrimp method to cycle anyway.

C0rp
06/19/2011, 11:34 PM
I used 125 lbs to start my tank, 8 months in and zero issues. I did not cook or clean anything. As a sidenote, I have run GFO since day 1, and use a DSB.